American Underslung wheel size??

mikewest

• 3 weeks later...

At one time I knew the tire size, but can't remember. Sorry about that. The wheels are ridiculously large in diameter. They have to be to make that design work. The tires probably don't fit anything else, unless maybe some other sort of underslung car. I imagine replacement tires would be a huge problem today.

The correct answer is it depends.  American built cars from about the size of a Model T Ford to a large touring with a 140 inch wheelbase.  Obviously the different sized cars used an appropriate sized tire. 

The largest wheel size used on an American was 32 inches.  The tire size was initially 40 x 4 and that was later changed to 41 x 4-1/2.   The red car in the previous link has 32 inch wheels with 41 x 4-1/2 tires. For comparison the largest tire on a production car was the Oldsmobile Limited.  It used a 43 x 5 tire (33 inch).

Alan  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, A Woolf said:

The correct answer is it depends.  American built cars from about the size of a Model T Ford to a large touring with a 140 inch wheelbase.  Obviously the different sized cars used an appropriate sized tire. 

The largest wheel size used on an American was 32 inches.  The tire size was initially 40 x 4 and that was later changed to 41 x 4-1/2.   The red car in the previous link has 32 inch wheels with 41 x 4-1/2 tires. For comparison the largest tire on a production car was the Oldsmobile Limited.  It used a 43 x 5 tire (33 inch).

Alan  

I have a set of original  wood wheels and rings that measure 31 inches.  I havent been able to track down  a car with 31

The width appears to  be 4 inches. . I need to clean the rim and see what is stamped on it. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 1:27 PM, mikewest said:

I have a set of original  wood wheels and rings that measure 31 inches.  I havent been able to track down  a car with 31

The width appears to  be 4 inches. . I need to clean the rim and see what is stamped on it. 

The only car other than the big Oldsmobiles and Underslungs that I know of that used very large wheels was the Detroit-built Owen of 1910-11. Information in books says the wheel size was 42 inches but what the actual rim size was I don't know. The Owen car bears a passing resemblance to the Old Autocrat. There are plenty of photos and ads to be found on the net.

On 11/4/2022 at 7:58 PM, A Woolf said:

Alan  

My wheels are Stard Universal Marked with a 1908 Pat date. 40x4.5 inches.  Two of them have all the rings as well. (2 reversable side rings and one lock ring. )  I have 3 new Michelon gray ties as well. 

Mike, a 1911 Rambler Model 65 used a 31 inch wheel (40 X 4.5 inch tire size).  The gray Michelin tires were done as a limited production run quite a few years back.  The beautifully restored green model 65 Rambler had them mounted at the time of restoration, but the wheels have since been changed to 32 inch diameter (41 X 4.5 tires).  

The unrestored Reichwald (Texas) Model 65 Rambler also had a set of those gray tires installed.  That may be one of the very few cars around with those tires still mounted.  I do not know where it ended up, but I would think that the current owner would like to have a spare set.  I wish I could be more help in that regard.

Id like to buy at least one more tire.. I spoke with Reichwalds widow but it didnt go far. Dale Kemmerer gave me the contact. As of a few months ago she still had the car for sale. I just dont have the contacts in the Rambler world  to find another tire or two and one more wheel also. If you are able to reach out  to anyone that may be able to helpI would be glad to reward you. Thanks Mike West Livonia NY  585 738 1541