1929 Pontiac, 6-29, generator / alternator

RoyG

i am looking for a 1929 Pontiac, 6-29 generator / alternator.

i have been told the following will work: 

Powermaster powergen 82117 - 6v, Neg Ground, GM short generator
Powermaster pully 1135 black finish (5/8)

any assistance would be great.

thx

20221016_085922.jpg

I added a 6 volt positive ground Alternator to my 1933 Plymouth a while back .  I bought one from the Model A boys and it came with a wide pulley.  It  was a one wire and cost $130.  I made new mounting brackets and used the same fan belt.  The lights were much brighter and the alternator had a higher charging rate.  It made the car more usable at night. 

• Like 1

RoyG... The original generator for your '29 Pontiac is either a 943J or 975N as described in a Hollander Manual which I am referencing. It says these can be used with '29-'31 Pontiacs. Chevys from '29-'33 also used these numbers. A number of GMC vehicles from '29-'35 also used this application.

I see that you are located in Canada. The Early Times Chapter(ETC) of the Pontiac Oakland Club International(POCI) would be a great reference for you. As a fellow Pontiac owner and member, they have helped me out numerous times. Consider joining this group. You can contact the President, Tom Myers, for more info. His email is etcpreztom@gmail.com.

Good luck with the restoration... Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The original generator is a 629-J and was used in Series 6-29-401 (1931).  If you are looking for this data I maintain a website that has some of the important information for splithead (‘26-‘32) Pontiacs.  The site is:

pontiacsplithead.com

There is a table showing major engine parts and it is under:

Reference - Misc Reference-1926-1932 Pontiac Engine Specifications and Parts

Here is a link to that page:

https://pontiacsplithead.files.wordpress.com/2021/11/splitheadreference-1.pdf