1986 Gemballa at Hershey

Belvedere

I approached this vehicle in class 27Q with many questions (and doubts) on this year's Hershey show field.  What is it?  Looks like it doesn't belong here.  Nice vehicle, by the way.  It's owned by Mr. Hyatt, a young guy.  I believe in another post he says he is new to the AACA.  That's great!  In that same post he states his car left the judges "scratching their heads".  I see it was awarded a First Junior in 27Q.  Congratulations!

So upon arriving home, I Googled Gemballa.  From what I gathered, Gemballa purchases bodies in white and modifies them in a German factory in very limited quantities.  Whether it be a Porsche or, as in this case a BMW, it is then sold as a Gemballa.  It is a car manufacturing company registered with German Motor Vehicles Authority since 1985.

So it appears it is to be welcomed on the AACA show field, but not as a production vehicle equal to those in class 27Q.  It's just not the same as Ford or Chevy coming down the assembly line.  Rather, in my opinion it fits into one of Class 35 divisions for limited production vehicles. 

Did anyone else look at this vehicle?  Do you agree it should be relocated to a more appropriate class?  Retaining its First Junior status, of course.

This vehicle may very well fit into Class 35, but entry into Class 35 requires the owner to submit an application with documentation to National to be reviewed by the Specified Class Committee and then approved by the VP of Judging.  Once approved, it would be moved into Class 35.  This request is initiated by the owner.  Class 27Q is the correct class until the application is submitted and approved.  I have no idea if this has been done by the owner, but that is why it was shown in Class 27Q.  This process is outlined in the Judging Guidelines in the description of Class 35.

I know Class 35 is by application on the part of the owner.  My thought now is why would an owner whose vehicle is eligible for 35 go to all the trouble of submitting an application to the VP of Class Judging when he can just "drop" into a production class?  Could the owner of an SGVC just slot into a production class rather than applying for SGCV acceptance, then Class 35? 

There should be a process whereby owners, especially those new to AACA or of vehicles shown for the first time be "professionally" instructed as to the appropriate class for their vehicle the next time shown.  Any awards would be retained.  With the level of judging done by AACA, vehicles should be in the most correct class.  Volkswagons and 1958 Chevrolets for example, have been moved into correct classes as they evolved.

Anyway, it was just a thought as I looked at the Gemballa.  Thanks Dave for your response.

The Chief Judge, VP of Class Judging and others review the car list for possible misclassifications prior to the show and contact the owner if there are questions.  The car was reviewed to determine that it is AACA eligible and the proper class for the car.  Most likely, the application for Class 35 was not received in time for the review by the committee to be completed to be included in Class 35 for the Hershey National.  If this is the case, Class 27 is correct until the car is accepted in Class 35.  If it is accepted, the award will be moved and the car will be in Class 35 going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

The owner is a new AACA member and that was his first show.  He was unsure as to where his car belonged so he submitted it for judging on recommendation of the judging group.   If it needs to be changed, I am sure he will be happy to do so.   In the meantime, he was thrilled just to be on a showfield with the AACA!!   He is already working with a group to possibly form a new region!!  

• Like 1