1935 Oldsmobile transmission removal trouble

TimFX

Hello all

Ive removed the engine from the frame and the bolts holding the transmission to the bell housing. 

The transmission only seems to move out about 1/2” before stopping. Is there something stopping it?

Do I just need to keep hammering them apart?

70F5B475-795C-46AF-9A0A-867A18151744.jpeg

Just now, TimFX said:

I thought of something like that, strangely, the vent/inspection cover has what looks like rivets and not screws holding it on. Not sure how to get it off!

Can you raise it up enough to look up from beneath it?

5 minutes ago, TimFX said:

I will get it back on the hoist tomorrow and look underneath and then see if the inspection cover can be removed

There may be a spring attached to the transmission for the clutch release bearing.

Was this a running car?

I wonder if you are fighting rust on the input shaft spline? I had a thread a while back about a 36 Pontiac transmission overhaul, and at the end of it I tried to document some of the differences at the front and the back between the Pontiac, Buick, and Oldsmobile variants of this transmission in the mid 30s. The thread is here.

Some variants of this transmission use the bellhousing as the front bearing cover, and as I recall all the mid 30s Oldsmobiles were like that. Some variants do not have the throw out bearing support @DFeeney mentioned, Pontiac for instance. I don't know if Oldsmobile has it or not, but it wouldn't matter in your case. Even if it did have that throw out bearing support it would stay with the bellhousing because on an Oldsmobile the front bearing cover is the bellhousing.

We need @Dandy Dave in this thread. I believe he overhauled one of the Oldsmobile variants, maybe a 1936, and not that long ago.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Put two pry bars on each side of the trans/bell housing gap and work the trans back. Most likely the splines are worn and catching on the clutch disk. I would recommend turning the trans yoke back and forth while working the bars. I see the shift lever is off so I’m not sure if the trans is in gear or neutral. Your 35 looks very similar to my 32 and mine just slides back out.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bloo said:

We need @Dandy Dave in this thread. I believe he overhauled one of the Oldsmobile variants, maybe a 1936, and not that long ago.

Yes. It should just pull out. The throwout bearing is carbon composite on these. Most likely sticky or stuck. Dandy Dave! Actually I'm still working on that 1936 inbetween other stuff. Dandy Dave!

• Like 1

If the pilot bearing is actually a ball bearing, I have had an instance where the trans input shaft had rusted a bit and actually stuck in the bearing giving the same problem you see. I just pried it apart with no dmage.

This was with a Buick - trans looks the same.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's most likely a Hyatt bearing like a Pontiac. I doubt the bearing is holding it, but if it is, put a breaker bar on the crank pulley, put some kind of bar on the transmission output, prop the clutch fork to a disengaged position somehow, put it in high gear, and twist. There isn't much surface area on the contact points of the rollers.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

If the transmission is held to the bell housing with bolts and not studs, and the bolts are removed and if the transmission case can be moved reward enough to get a nut between the bell housing and the front of the transmission you could use 4 pieces of all thread screwed through the nuts and into the threaded bell housing holes. Then you could screw the nuts out 1 flat at a time to give a more even and constant outward force.  Use judgement as not to break off the transmission case ears.   In the trade these are called "Jack Bolts"   ( I'm glad my 8th grade English teacher did not see the construction of this  paragraph .)

• Like 2

Clutch disk is stuck to the flywheel. Just unbolt the trans first and pull it off. Then work on the stuck clutch. It will probably take heat to get it to release. 

9F875E1A-ACEA-41BE-9983-849EECD6629C.jpeg

B0D066F0-50B2-4633-AA9F-A507215291DB.jpeg

A14A09FB-76A4-4655-B4DD-6BB903F2C159.jpeg

44A08BF5-80AC-42F0-A6F1-C527A2D22145.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The nut extraction method worked!

it released with a bang

The engine, which has sat in a barn for 40 years, is surprisingly clean. It turns over with little effort and aside from some light surface rust, the cylinders are super smooth!

Thanks everyone for your input. This forum is a saviour!

A9B4F3AC-AD2F-4F76-A1CC-04EE0C9070E9.jpeg

23EB23C1-EA8F-4D80-8F9F-AC44A6106740.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 11/4/2022 at 1:18 PM, TimFX said:

The nut extraction method worked!

it released with a bang

The engine, which has sat in a barn for 40 years, is surprisingly clean. It turns over with little effort and aside from some light surface rust, the cylinders are super smooth!

Thanks everyone for your input. This forum is a saviour!

A9B4F3AC-AD2F-4F76-A1CC-04EE0C9070E9.jpeg

23EB23C1-EA8F-4D80-8F9F-AC44A6106740.jpeg

Hey Tim quick question would you happen to know how many block plugs the 213.3 has on it? I see 3 on one side and it does seam to have any on the back of the plug . Cheers David

19 hours ago, Whatever said:

Hey Tim quick question would you happen to know how many block plugs the 213.3 has on it? I see 3 on one side and it does seam to have any on the back of the plug . Cheers David

Only 3 plugs