1952 Pontiac Chieftain FOUND - what do I do with this?

PontiacCheiftain

There isn't much left there to restore.  Does it have its drive train?  At best it is a parts car.  You could try to sell it via Craig's list or Facebook market place, eBay, or on this site.

Do you have any way to pull the carcass out of the woods?  Put some cheap used tires on it so it can be rolled?

Are the floors rotted out?  Same for rockers and bottoms of fenders.

My two cents, You would be lucky to get $300 as it sits.  And that would be scrap value.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M1842 said:

My two cents, You would be lucky to get $300 as it sits.  And that would be scrap value.

... and I'd assume, to get anywhere near $300, it would have to include delivery to scrapyard.

• Like 2

Mr. Chieftain, it's fun to come across old relics--

cars and other things.  As you can see from the

messages above, not everything is desirable to

collectors, or readily restorable.  I agree that this

is, at best, possibly useful for some spare parts.

Realistically, it's likely not worth your time in buying it

and extracting it from the woods.  But if you like

taking pictures, you can get some good artistic

pictures of various elements of the car, nestled in

its natural setting, with various shades of lighting

and in various seasons.  That may bring the most

enjoyment.

• Like 2

Do everyone  a favor and clean the car up enough to get a good look at anything of value.  I suspect mostly parts only.  As some of you may know me, I'm in this boat right now with many mechanical parts, and several car.  IF your interested in any value this car has, you have to put out the effort to examine the parts, for condition, and advertise.  Its more work than most want to do.  You will be left with the scrap, and have to take that to a re-cycle yard.  If you just want it gone, you might find a metal recycler who will drag it away, but this will depend on a lot of issues.

ERIC

Edited by VW4X4 (see edit history)

"Realistically, it's likely not worth your time in buying it

and extracting it from the woods"

He bought the property and the car is on it. "So I found this old car on some rec. property I purchased"

I would remove any parts (trim, mechanical, etc) that you think are worth removing, clean them up and advertise them for sale.

Then leave the rest to Mother Nature - unless you want it removed for whatever reason(s)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

There is a salvage yard across town here that I stop into when close just to see what has come in. Sometimes some pretty good stuff is there pretty cheap. It's in two places about a block apart. The junkier stuff is usually at the West side,one day there was a 1950 era International truck sitting past the bldg out behind it. Missing hood,looked junky,I ignored it two or three times. Finally I walked out to have a look and it had an aluminum 2-duece manifold and carbs with air cleaners. I scarfed those up pretty fast at scrap price. I didn't look at all the pictures of this Pontiac but it would be worth checking for a 3-duece or two four manifold,power steering,air,stuff like that. Then haul it out of there before the gas tank and oil pan rust through if they haven't already dumped the polluting contents on your property. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sagefinds said:

one day there was a 1950 era International truck sitting past the bldg out behind it. Missing hood,looked junky,I ignored it two or three times. Finally I walked out to have a look and it had an aluminum 2-duece manifold and carbs with air cleaners.

Was that seriously for the International engine? Flathead or OHV?

14 hours ago, Bloo said:

Was that seriously for the International engine? Flathead or OHV?

It was a perfect fit for that engine,sold it to a guy in Montana for his binder and he was a happy camper. It was many years ago,I've thought about the engine head,I think it was a flatty but I just can't say for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Geez lot of negative comments here.  Pay to haul it to the scrap yard?  Come on guys don't be so negative to someone who is trying to save a car.  It's got usable parts on it.  To OP: Clean out all the branches and debries and put it up on your local Facebook market place.  Car is a '57 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another vote for leaving the remains of this car alone and letting the earth reclaim it. Walk away, there's really nothing left to salvage. Anything of value was removed 30 years ago, maybe even before it was dumped in the woods. What's left has deteriorated to unusable junk. Having once owned an identical car, it's just not a highly sought after model and there isn't much demand for what's left here. People want good useable pieces, they've already got crummy parts like this and are looking to upgrade. And since the car's not very collectible, buyers don't want to pay much for the parts anyway. What's your time worth? Remove the pieces, clean em up, list em on line, find some boxes, package the stuff up, all this for a few bucks, I don't think it's worth it. Yes it would be nice to save every old car & part but this is an good example of one to walk away from. You might as well spend your time walking along a back road somewhere looking for saleable hubcaps to pull of a ditch. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Biggest Part of the car collector pass-time is finding and negotiating the sale and hiring retrieving agents, friends, buddies to help haul thing away to your home workshop and then posting it to ones club for sharing in the fun of dismantling and selling / giving parts away. Best Wishes to you all.

There would be a tremendous amount of work involved just to get the remains of this old Pontiac out of the woods. Just getting it jacked up out of the ground and getting the drums to turn to attach wheels & tires to roll would be enough of an undertaking. Then you'd have to clear the brush away, cut some trees down to clear a path out and then get in there with some heavy equipment for removal while tearing up the muddy ground. You also might be leaving huge ruts that will have to be repaired on someone else's private property. If you do need to hire a retreiving agent, well, they don't work for free. Finally, after several days of work you've got it out and now it's home. (After all this time, my friends & buddies, most of whom have nearly 50 years of experience in this old car hobby themselves, would still be laughing at me.)......... OK I've saved a small box of rusty, bent  & weatherbeaten parts and a couple of stainless mouldings. I have no title or legal paperwork for the remains, in my area no scrapper will touch it or haul it away, how do I dispose of what's left?...... All things considered, run away from what's left of that junk car in the woods and just leave it alone. 

Hi Pontiac Cheiftain, 

My I suggest you make contact with a nearby Pontiac Club and provide "Them" with all the details and let "Them" decide what to do. 

Just like when you go to your doctor for a checkup, you don't dare tell the doctor how to do the checkup.

Very Best Wishes going forward. Tom