1930 Chevrolet Sedan

I think it seems in the right range without further inspection. I don't understand why it's now very common to say "runs and drives". 

I think it should either say "runs and drives good" or "runs and drives around the parking lot if you go slow and nothings in the way and don't mind the smoke".  It's like saying "How's Bob's health?"....Answer: "He's alive". 

• Like 4

I also agree - today runs and drives means: car starts/idles and if you put it in gear it will move forward - that's it...   doesn't say much... it's a little better when they also say "it stops" - but all that means is you can probably get it on a trailer - I have no data to prove it, but I think a lot of Craigslist sellers assume the car is only being seen locally (in this case Illinois) and people will come and check it out for themselves (they have no idea people in California or New York would even be looking at their car) 🙃

I'm on board with the last two posts. If I were listing the car I would add: 1. new brakes in summer of 2018 2. Compression test completed Spring of 2020 3. Completely rewired in Spring of 2012 4. Carb rebuilt this year by National Carb Florida. The more information the better. as it may keep some of the tire kickers from wasting your time. At least it shows that you have maintained the car. 

“Runs and drives” might be the best description from someone who has no understanding about HOW it’s supposed to drive. 
It’s more than likely that the seller did not restore it but rather just acquired it in its current condition.  (Inheritance?) 

From a non-old car point of view it most certainly:
Starts harder than my modern car

Brakes are downright dangerous compared to my modern car 

Steering is incredibly hard and not nearly as stable as my modern car. 
It runs and drives, but I am afraid to even take it around the block. 

But I am pleased that the body style was correctly described as a Coach. 🙂 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

On 10/5/2022 at 9:39 AM, Leif in Calif said:

I don't understand why it's now very common to say "runs and drives". 

As far as I know, that has always meant that it runs and drives, but that's all. In other words, it probably starts goes and stops but if you live further away than across town or the next town over it would probably be better to bring a trailer. That is my take on it from the 1970s. It's one step below "drive anywhere", one step above "yard drives", and two steps above "must be towed".

• Like 4