Carter WGD Casting Numbers..what do they mean

1957buickjim

I'm rebuilding a number of Carter WGD 2bbls for back ups for my 1957 Buicks. In the process, I have run across a few different casting numbers and configurations and wondering if they are all for a 1957 Buick or some other models or years of vehicles. These are the upper / top casting.  The casting numbers are 1047, 1204, and 1458. Just tring to figure out what they go to and if they are 1957 Buick Carburetors. The most prevalent casting number that I have seen is the 1204.  I've attached pictures

IMG_7713.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg

IMG_7717.jpg

Casting numbers on a Carter Carburetor mean very little. If @carbking were here he could probably narrow each one of those castings down to a couple hundred year/make/engine/transmission combinations. The carburetors should have brass tags, and the tag number is the meaningful one. If the tags are missing you might be stuck, but sometimes Carter stamped a code in the throttle body mounting flange that can be decoded back to a tag number. I think that is what @NTX5467 is referring to. Carter might not have always stamped the code, I'm not sure. Even if they did, rebuilders sometimes eliminated it. If you don't have the tags, look at the flanges under a bright light and cross your fingers.

Casting numbers on Carter, as well as Rochester, Stromberg, and Zenith refer to a "blank" casting, PRIOR to the casting being machined.

About the only place one will find a reference to a casting number would be an individual carburetor company part drawing.

As an example, Carter might have decided to produce air horn part number 6-abc. If one went to the print for 6-abc, it might reference casting blank 6-xyz, and state to machine with four 0.032 air vents.

As to the "stamped" numbers referred to by NTX5467 and Bloo, Carter stamped a "code" number on the underside of the cast iron throttle body, while not entirely unique, would get identification very close. Carter stamped these numbers in MOST carburetors from 1932 to 1955.

For the most part, casting numbers (regardless of the opinion of the folks publishing the restorers guides for Corvette) CANNOT be used to positively identify a carburetor. In a well-meaning attempt to do so, these folks have listed casting numbers they found on unmolested Corvette carburetors, not knowing the same casting numbers could be used on other carbs. From this one can say that a certain carb xyz should have casting numbers abc, def, and ghi; but a carburetor with these castings might not be carb xyz.

Clear as mud? ;)

Jon

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yep, clear as mud. I was just interested in seeing if there was any rhyme or reason, and it look's like nope! It is interesteing to note that the 1047 casting does not have any feature for mounting the air cleaner bracket on the air horn, as the other 2 do. So, I'm guessing that that is not a 1957 Buick carburetor for sure. 

Yes the 1204 carb had the 2536S brass tag - 1957 Buick Dynaflow 2bbl Carb. The 1458 has no brass tag on it, nor did the 1047. The 1458 carb base is the same as the 1204 regarding throttle and trans bracketry on both sides, so maybe it is a later (58 - 60 364 Dynaflow 2bbl Carb?)

Edited by 1957buickjim (see edit history)