63 full electric window layout question

Dundee

7E5283D0-9D2E-4790-9FAE-75E1E5BCE02C.jpeg.a211de9e6b4ad8ba659e86d812725a44.jpegso I have 2 singles for the rear plus these for the front and just wanted to confirm the orientation and layout preferably with a photo from anyone who has a full electric window set up on a 63 standard interior….

Bonus question… is that Riviera by Buick emblem from somewhere on a 63. ???

thanks….

3 hours ago, Dundee said:

7E5283D0-9D2E-4790-9FAE-75E1E5BCE02C.jpeg.a211de9e6b4ad8ba659e86d812725a44.jpegso I have 2 singles for the rear plus these for the front and just wanted to confirm the orientation and layout preferably with a photo from anyone who has a full electric window set up on a 63 standard interior….

Bonus question… is that Riviera by Buick emblem from somewhere on a 63. ???

thanks….

Here are pictures of the window switch locations. You will notice the Buick Tri-Shield emblems on my pictures. My car was converted to electric windows after the fact, probably by a dealer. The emblems fill in the hole where the manual crank was. The switches are in the correct location. There are cut outs on the back side the door cards where they would go.

Bill

IMG_8689.JPG

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8691.JPG

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

The 2-gang switch is for power vent windows and mounts on the driver's door panel.

Yes. So the passenger door panel will have two of the single-switch units, one for vent and one for window.

You have the Standard Interior, so there is no long armrest for these switches (and the power seat switches) to mount in. So the driver-side window switches go on the driver's door panel and the seat switch goes on the lower side of the driver's seat.

5 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Here are pictures of the window switch locations. You will notice the Buick Tri-Shield emblems on my pictures. My car was converted to electric windows after the fact, probably by a dealer. The emblems fill in the hole where the manual crank was. The switches are in the correct location. There are cut outs on the back side the door cards where they would go.

Bill

IMG_8689.JPG

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8691.JPG

Thank you Bill for those photos

2 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

Yes. So the passenger door panel will have two of the single-switch units, one for vent and one for window.

You have the Standard Interior, so there is no long armrest for these switches (and the power seat switches) to mount in. So the driver-side window switches go on the driver's door panel and the seat switch goes on the lower side of the driver's seat.

Seat all good, wiring to RHD all as explained for windows however any photo of location of switches for vent windows appreciated. There is a recess in the door panel up top but don’t think the wiring spans that high..also double checking 2 gang orientation is with toggles same direction as others therefore panel is vertical?

1963 Riviera (63-4747)

03C built 3td week of March

726 - standard interior silver vinyl

DD - silver cloud paint

J2 - power seat 

D - Equipped for a radio

I (not 1) 6 - Tinted windows

K4 - rear window defroster

U8 - Power Windows AND power vents.

My advice is to Google “1963 Buick Riviera standard interior” and look at ‘images’ of them.  You’ll get a good idea of what goes where and what it looks like.

19 hours ago, Dundee said:

Thanks for confirming ‘spare parts’!

When I had my 1964 (for 24 years) I collected a number of junk yard parts over those years including a shoe box full of the 1965 glove box emblems.

As a custom touch, I used them on the door sill plates.  I used 2 sided tape and placed them over the Fisher Coach emblems.  They fit perfectly in the recessed area and looked like a factory installation.

How ironic was it for Buick to do something very similar for the last generation Riviera?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Here’s a picture of a ‘65 standard interior.  Different vinyl but switch placement is the same.ED5B8555-B811-4AE2-A2EE-8D471B07C2C7.jpeg.e39ecb7c409460f45bbde66c08f4ff72.jpeg

Thanks Ed 

Will be good to see it in the grid pattern vinyl, plenty of those without electric vent though..

will have a quick look at Rodney’s down under 63. Your shot will let me see if it is in the inner door frame recess in relation to the mirror control.

Probably near enough…

cheers

14 hours ago, Dundee said:

Well after heavily trolling the web it seems not even Natalie Wood wanted electric vent windows in her standard interior car SO if anyone has this layout would love a photo of both front door interiors…..

Thanks

I have 287 data plates from 1963 Rivieras in my database (a small sampling of the original 40,000 built) and I have only TWO cars in there that have a Standard Interior and Power Vents (S8).

One of them is Dundee's car.  The other is FB number 38163. It also has a power seat, like Dundee's. I do not have a record of the Owner's Name. I've been collecting these data plate details for a very long time and did not always capture the Owner Name. And I don't have any pictures of the car, just the data plate numbers.

So, yes, this combination is kind of rare.

I would suggest posting this question in The Riview.  Ask all ROA members to contact Dundee if they have a Standard Interior in their 1st gen Riviera AND power vent windows. Then get pictures from them.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

I have 287 data plates from 1963 Rivieras in my database (a small sampling of the original 40,000 built) and I have only TWO cars in there that have a Standard Interior and Power Vents (S8).

One of them is Dundee's car.  The other is FB number 38163. It also has a power seat, like Dundee's. I do not have a record of the Owner's Name. I've been collecting these data plate details for a very long time and did not always capture the Owner Name. And I don't have any pictures of the car, just the data plate numbers.

So, yes, this combination is kind of rare.

I would suggest posting this question in The Riview.  Ask all ROA members to contact Dundee if they have a Standard Interior in their 1st gen Riviera AND power vent windows. Then get pictures from them.

Thanks Jim and let me k kw if you need any info from me for your database 

There’s a list ( sort of) that goes along with Jim’s spreadsheet.  A couple of items that I can remember are smooth or ribbed dash, placement of the spare tire - floor or under the deck, size of the dent in the vacuum reservoir.  Jim can fill you in on more.  A picture of the data plate is the easiest way to do it,

I have the data plate for Dundee's car.  I would like to know if the spare tire is mounted on the floor or up on the shelf. You can see where the loop is welded in for the tire mount link to hook into.

Your car body is a build date of 03C. I would expect it on the floor.

They really seem to have moved fully to the shelf in 03E (5th week of March).

Jim we may have to revisit that question next year as right now the car is being loaded and off to Adelaide in a fortnight. If of consequence the dash is plain not ribbed. 
going to be a mad rush to the forum this week with a bucket load of mysterious black parts in hand🥵

C4ACEE06-525A-4886-A282-DF674EBFF79C.jpeg

On 10/7/2022 at 10:49 AM, Dundee said:

Thanks Ed 

Will be good to see it in the grid pattern vinyl, plenty of those without electric vent though..

will have a quick look at Rodney’s down under 63. Your shot will let me see if it is in the inner door frame recess in relation to the mirror control.

Probably near enough…

cheers

Mine had custom leather and vinyl interior with window and vent switches on the armrest extension. You need to find one with standard interior plus power windows PLUS power vents.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

933E7088-C4FF-4555-AAEF-069B677049BE.jpeg

5AD2FCDB-A138-43A6-8E3E-1D7D832198C0.jpeg

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Spelling (see edit history)