1991 Reatta a/c not working

ReeRee

A/C compressor wasn't kicking on and I found fuse #18 blown. Replaced fuse and new one was immediately blown. Replaced the relay and it worked for a bit then started blowing the fuses again.Anybody had this issue before and what would be the next steps to trouble shooting the issue?

Edited by ReeRee (see edit history)

1 hour ago, ReeRee said:

A/C compressor wasn't kicking on and I found fuse #18 blown.

Fuse #18, a 10 amp fuse, supplies 12 volts to the clutch on the A/C compressor. The clutch, or the wiring going to it, is likely shorted to ground causing the fuse to blow. That circuit goes though A/C relay J. You could try changing that first.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 8:47 PM, ReeRee said:

Replaced j fuse.

"J" I referred to should be a relay that kicks in the compressor. If you changed that relay and fuse #18 is still blowing, the electric clutch that engages the compressor is about all that is left that would cause the fuse to blow unless you have a short in the wiring.

• Like 1

My mistake I meant j relay from the box just behind the driver's headlights. Ran a 15amp fuse to make sure the compressor was still working correctly and check the pressures. The fifteen amp fuse hasn't popped tho and everything is working good when it is in. Got a multi meter and I intend to check all the wiring soon.

1 hour ago, ReeRee said:

Ran a 15amp fuse to make sure the compressor was still working correctly and check the pressures. The fifteen amp fuse hasn't popped tho and everything is working good when it is in.

Fuses are there to protect the wiring. Putting in a larger fuse may stop the fuse from blowing but you run the risk of melting wires.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Except in the UK. Positive ground wiring was used to protect the Lucas fuses.

Some of the Brits I owned had positive earth. I think the fuses were an afterthought. I don't think the generators put out enough power to melt a wire.

• Like 1