Need Help with Rolls Royce Threaded Hubcap

TexRiv_63

OK RR experts: I have had this large chromed steel threaded hubcap for quite a while. I have googled and seen this type of logo on stamped wheel covers from the 50s but nothing regarding the threaded type. I'd like to know what years it was used and on what models plus insight into how it was mounted, what type of wheel, hub. etc. It is 4 1/2" diameter and 1 3/4" high, TIA for all comments.

20221002_154723.jpg

20221002_154733.jpg

20221002_154751.jpg

20221002_154802.jpg

20221002_154837.jpg

44 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

I looked through photos I have of local cars and the first one I found with this type of cap is the Silver Cloud from the 1950s and '60s. The cap on the earlier cars are different.

This is a 1960 Cloud 2.

60 DN2684 Cloud II Trev Jones photo Masterton 0721.jpg

60 DN2684 Cloud II Trev Jones photo Masterton 0721 (2).jpg

Thanks, that looks like the stamped wheel cover, same look but no separate center cap.

43 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

This early Shadow looks to have the same caps - 

I am guessing that the big wheel disc goes on first and the cap is screwed on to prevent the big disc falling off.

68 EF6600 1021.jpg

That's what I thought but most of those on google are larger in diameter than mine. I have seen references to a "floating" hubcap which I assume means the logo stays fixed but the cap and wheel turns around it, when was that used?

On the 1930 RR 20/25 I've been working on the cap is similar but I do not believe the same. There is a lock ring that holds the cap to the wheel so the cap and the wheel do not separate without removing it. The cap actually holds the wheel on in these models. There is a special wrench that depresses the center as the cap is tightened. There is a lock that holds it in place when the center is released. Dandy Dave! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

On the 1930 RR 20/25 I've been working on the cap is similar but I do not believe the same. There is a lock ring that holds the cap to the wheel so the cap and the wheel do not separate without removing it. The cap actually holds the wheel on in these models. There is a special wrench that depresses the center as the cap is tightened. There is a lock that holds it in place when the center is released. Dandy Dave! 

Thanks Dave. I doubt this cap was designed to hold a wheel on, the sheet steel construction of the front is too flimsy. More likely it held a wheel cover in place.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 1:56 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

That's what I thought but most of those on google are larger in diameter than mine. I have seen references to a "floating" hubcap which I assume means the logo stays fixed but the cap and wheel turns around it, when was that used?

The seventh generation RR Phantom introduced in 2003 and going forward has that feature.  The RR letters stay upright as the wheel rotates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1