Modified '32 Buick 67 on BAT "OUCH"

It's obvious a lot of money was spent on this car. I hope the people who did this enjoyed it, because it's certainly going to have limited appeal for resale.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1932-buick-super-8-custom-town-coupe/

Modified 1932 Buick Model 67

Edited by Leif in Calif
spelling error (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Come on you preservation guys..... is is a very well done modification.... obviously the the person that chose to modify it liked the looks of the open/ chauffeured front type car... and real leather seats... believe me 95% of the people that see this car will appreciate it's uniqueness ...... one of a kind... it still retains its vintage look... with only slightly improved running gear.... very nice car... very tastefully re-created... I think the sale price will reflect the public's appreciation.... I would love to have it and DRIVE it often.... 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sunnybaba said:

believe me 95% of the people that see this car will appreciate it's uniqueness ...... one of a kind... it still retains its vintage look... with only slightly improved running gear.... 

You might be right about the 95%. For sure the people who frequent this forum are mostly the other 5% so we might be "off".

Personally, I don't understand they were aiming for. In this creation, the back seat seems a cramped after thought. They would have been better off to lop the top there too and make a sporty open car once they started cutting. I love a well executed "speedster".     

• Like 2

Could be one of those "made it for his wife and she loved it" deals. One thing is for sure money must not have been an issue. It's doubtful whoever did it or had it done was concerned about the thoughts of others. Just hope it turned out the way they were planning. 

If the windshield had been made a little higher it would have looked more attractive. 

8 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

In this creation, the back seat seems a cramped after thought.

It has no back seat, that's the strangest part!  Totally weird.  I don't see how anyone could appreciate this disaster.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

In a single dark color it might look a lot better.

maroon/silver wrecks a lot of cars.  I know as we have one.

AJ, You have been around cars much longer than myself and I respect your opinion. However this time I have to say you are wrong!  LOL

Maybe a single dark garage!!

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, neil morse said:

It has no back seat, that's the strangest part!  Totally weird.  I don't see how anyone could appreciate this disaster.

I see that now...I guess they were aiming for a sort of pre-war "Targa". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I don't get it.

BAT rejected a car that I submitted because it was not stock,

But then they will allow this car for sale.

Sounds like the beginning of the end to me.

Same here.  BAT rejected two beautiful 100% original vehicles I submitted that would have made for great auctions and put on this wacky stuff.   This car would do better on Hemmings auctions, IMO.  Or maybe not... the BAT crowd may not know enough about it to know how butchered it is.

• Like 2

Let's not dwell on what's wrong with it, but focus on what can make it better!  Can the enclosed area be removed and the car turned into a convertible or cabriolet?  Or, maybe reshape the entire car from the doors back and turn it into a boat tail or speedster?  Then paint!  Thoughts? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 63RedBrier said:

Let's not dwell on what's wrong with it, but focus on what can make it better!  Can the enclosed area be removed and the car turned into a convertible or cabriolet?  Or, maybe reshape the entire car from the doors back and turn it into a boat tail or speedster?  Then paint!  Thoughts? 

I guess it has a lot of nice parts to donate to a restoration project...

• Like 4

11 hours ago, classiclines said:

Oh, and on the subject of 'why?' cars...   BAT is also auctioning a...

No Reserve: 2011 Ford Mustang GT–Based Zimmer Golden Spirit Coupe

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-zimmer-golden-spirit-ford-mustang/

...so, if the Buick is not your style, how about this mustang?   😁

15478-96460.webp

Yuck!!!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I have seen some zimmers that I could live with. But this one is well............. Looks like somebody in a mustang rear ended a zimmer and the 2 morphed together 🤔

No reserve, zimmer (with Pierce-Arrow inspired front fender lights) sold for $29,569

Edited by classiclines
clarification (see edit history)

Seriously, the wind effects from the massive air scoop that is this body must be a huge concern when attempting to drive above, say 40 mph. The noise, the bufetting and the Helmholtz Resonance must make driving this quite unpleasant.

From Google:

Wind buffeting is caused by an occurrence known as Helmholtz Resonance. In a nutshell, when you open just one window in your vehicle ‒ or the sunroof or moonroof ‒ the air inside your car thumps up against the faster-moving air outside the window.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 2