Help on 1921 steering column hookups

chuckfmtexas

Well I finally got my steering column back and this time when I turn it to the right the wheels turn right and vice versa on the left.  The first time I got it back from the rebuild when I turned it right the wheels turned left and vice versa.  So, column is back in and carb, vacuum canister and fuel lines, throttle hooked up and today after 5-10 turnovers or 10-15 second the engine started and we ran it for 5+ minutes. 

Now I have to figure out how to align and connect the gear sets at the bottom end of the column to connect the timing and throttle advance on the steering wheel.  Is there an illustrated service procedure anyone is aware of?  I can not find one in the 1921 service manual.  One question is do I start with the timing lever at the steering wheel centered straight up and down at the 6 o'clock position with the gear lever below in the middle of its movement?  Not sure how I get the gears to mesh and stay in place but I have not spent much time under the car up close to the gears.  The shorter arm at the steering wheel with the horn button is the throttle lever as I remember.  It has been almost 3 years since I last had the car running and I took the steering column out.  I had only had the car less than a year so I still have a lot to learn about the car.

Any help appreciated,

Chuck    

IMG_0604_edited.jpg

IMG_0665_edited.jpg

IMG_0677_edited.jpg

Chuck,

The crescent sits to right hand side of the steering wheel approximately from the 1 o’clock to 5 o’clock position.  The short lever is the spark advance and when sitting at the top “1 o’clock” position spark timing should be retarded to just past top dead center. This prevents ignition while hand cranking occurring before piston reaches top dead center and “kicking the engine counter clockwise”.  The long lever is the throttle.  Top 1 o’clock position is idle and more throttle applied as lever is moved down.  I hope this helps.

Glenn Manes

Wheat Ridge CO

USA