Clownish Ad Copy

Psh! Classic Auto Mall. Been there twice. I wouldn’t trust a single description of any car in the place. The owners have many cars on display, many are original paint/interior. None of which are for sale. 

Worth looking if in the area, but buy elsewhere, IMO. 

• Like 2

I understand that sellers want the cars well-lit for photos, but shooting a car under 50 overhead lights just makes ugly lines or spots all over the car.  Take it outside on an overcast day for the photos!

What a doll-up job that poor Hudson is!  Looks like an Earl Schieb $39.95 deluxe paint job with a chrome-tube kitchen chairs mottled blue vinyl upholstery by Speedy's boat trim shop.  To see how well the 'restoration' was done, always check the front underside edge of the hood and what color is on the cowl.   In that 1930's-1950's era, the complete body was painted the exterior color, the flat-black cowls were a GM/Fisher method that began in the 1960's.  Surprisingly, the underside appears quite solid other than surface rust.  It would have been a good candidate for a proper restoration.

1949-hudson-commodore -rusty hood.jpg

• Like 3

Let me see if I can mimic his style, but make the ad copy more accurate:

"This spectacularly over-priced Hudson has been graced with an astonishingly inappropriate interior, the seats draped with dramatically incorrect vinyl and topped off by a truly awful plastic headliner that will brings tears to the eyes of any experienced Hudson collector.  The fabulously mediocre paint job is similarly incorrect.  The inattention to detail under the hood is everything that could be expected of this horrendously botched restoration, complete with modern hoses and a superlatively out-of-place plastic radiator overflow reservoir.  Nowhere in the world could you find a car that has been treated with such meticulous lack of concern and overwhelmingly poor workmanship.  This car is beyond question unique in every respect!"

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

29 minutes ago, neil morse said:

Let me see if I can mimic his style, but make the ad copy more accurate:

"This spectacularly over-priced Hudson has been graced with an astonishingly inappropriate interior, the seats draped with dramatically incorrect vinyl and topped off by a truly awful plastic headliner that will brings tears to the eyes of any experienced Hudson collector.  The fabulously mediocre paint job is similarly incorrect.  The inattention to detail under the hood is everything that could be expected of this horrendously botched restoration, complete with modern hoses and a superlatively out-of-place plastic radiator overflow reservoir.  Nowhere in the world could you find a car that has been treated with such meticulous lack of concern and overwhelmingly poor workmanship.  This car is beyond question unique in every respect!"

Wonderful spoof, Neil.

• Thanks 1

A 491 series 1949 Hudson is not the upscale Commodore model but the lower priced Super series. It's really not that difficult to verify this information and present an accurate description of the vehicle you're selling. Hudsons of this era didn't start with a twist of a key, you turned the ignition switch on with your right hand then pushed the srarter button located on the other side of the steering column with your left. 1949 Hudson 262 engines didn't have a 1-barrel carburetor either. I could go on but you get the idea. 

• Like 1

He is verbose, isn't he? I'm still pretty much a novice, and I could see the inconsistencies in that car. Obviously, the interior is not even close to original, and it does look like an Earl Scheib paint job. 

A friend, of mine, a Mopar guy, recommended this dealer, and told me I should look there for my first old car. I think not. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrumBob said:

A friend, of mine, a Mopar guy, recommended this dealer,

And you still consider him your friend. That's really decent. 

Maybe your friend had a good experience with them or knew someone that knew someone who did. Hope so. 

On 10/3/2022 at 2:17 AM, Fossil said:

And you still consider him your friend. That's really decent. 

Maybe your friend had a good experience with them or knew someone that knew someone who did. Hope so. 

My friend likes this dealer for some reason. I'll ask him why next time I speak with him. 

• Like 1