Mid 1926 back oil level indicator topper

Mark Gregush

Reading the discussion about oil level it was brought up that there may have been a press on topper for the oil level float rod. So, my question is does anyone have a sample of it as used on cars made after early 1916 and before mid 1926? If so, could you post a photo or two of it as it seems most were lost over time. If you can measure the length/diameter that would be great too. 

Part of the problem with using the MPB for ID is that DB changed parts without changing the part number. If it did the same function without any major change they did it. The 9th edition dropped a lot of insignificant early parts or obsolete parts. You have to look at individual early parts books or early MPB to really find out what is going on. I know the aluminum button was used in '14,'15 and '16. It shows in the early parts books plus looking at original cars. But in '15 the rod and float are one part number. In '16 they are two separate numbers. You would have to actually look at parts to determine if they are actually different or just separated. The steel button came along I THINK in late teens, thanks to ch1929 for the picture. I THINK it is pressed on as I have not seen threads on bare rods that late. Could be wrong. Without spending time looking at the '17, '18, '19 etc. MPB it's hard to say if they changed the part number or not or if they even show it as a separate part. I was told they used a plastic button in the '20's but have no proof. I think they did a lot of this to confuse us 100 years later. Those books are available in AACA library if you want copies. They are pretty busy right now getting ready for the Hershey show. And they just lost Chris to a freak accident so things are upside down there. 

• Like 2

Well here we go. A guy on Facebook posted these photos. Looks like without access to, for example Vo. 13 Book of Information, to cross check, just have to look and see where it rides between the bosses. Looks like 5 quarts is about 1/2 way in-between. You can see the slit in the side showing it is a press on. I was expecting something taller. 

float topper 2.jpg

float topper 1.jpg