For Sale: 1931 Buick Series 90 - $24,000 (Hershey)

Not mine Not mine --- more pics in ad --- I can't get phone number to show up - try it yourself

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/manchester-center-1931-buick-series-90/7549559865.html

WE WILL HAVE THIS CAR IN THE HERSHEY CAR CORRAL NEXT WEEK.

Our 1931 is a great driving CCCA Full classic that has benefited from mild restoration over the years and remains mostly original. The repaint was done years ago and shows a great patina. The wheels and most chrome were also redone. The interior remains mostly original and in very good condition. The car is ready to be enjoyed as is or would be an excellent candidate for a concours type restoration. Appraisal on file.
The glamorous Series 90 was Buick’s eight-cylinder flagship line during the early 1930s, clearly signaling the marque’s intention to lure buyers from the competition and even from its corporate sibling, Cadillac. Styling, overseen by GM design Chief Harley Earl, remains a Classic Era® masterpiece by any standard, including numerous elements that made Earl’s 1927 LaSalle and contemporary Cadillacs so appealing to buyers. In fact, some Fisher- and Fleetwood-built bodies from Buick’s Series 90 line were even shared across the GM range with Cadillac, making the big Buick an even more enticing value to many buyers.
Sporting, elegant and quite rare today, this 1931 Buick Series 90 Opera Coupe is one of precious few prewar Buick models to enjoy Full Classic® recognition from the Classic Car Club of America (CCCA). With its power and abundant comfort, it is well-suited for a wide array of driving tours and events. As offered, it provides a truly rare opportunity to acquire a striking top-line 1930s Buick, fit for touring and casual shows.

Please call <<<missing>>> with specific questions. Thanks

ak0100j0j_dFoRJqzIAshz_09G07g_1200x900.jpg

ak0300L0L_iPue0eS2P1Uz_0wg0oc_1200x900.jpg

ak0400t0t_17LPHeT3Z8rz_0wg0oc_1200x900.jpg

ak0500h0h_1raprtug5Xbz_09G07g_1200x900.jpg

ak0600m0m_aViGekZE83Bz_09G07g_1200x900.jpg

ak0201313_lQNBaHfWxG4z_0wg0oc_1200x900.jpg

ak0700606_6kViPf4QiqQz_0wg0oc_1200x900.jpg

Edited by classiclines
update (see edit history)

"The glamorous Series 90 was Buick’s eight-cylinder flagship..."

The "...glamorous Series 90"?  Stately, imposing...sure, but glamorous?

"...to lure buyers from the competition and even from its corporate sibling, Cadillac." 

No, Packard Standard Eight buyers were the primary target market for the Buick Series 90 which was developed when the former still dominated the 'entry-level' prestige segment in the late 1920's.   LaSalle, which was develop and priced to directly challenge the Packard Standard Eight, had not produced the intended objective to wrestle the sales crown for that segment from Packard.   Cadillac itself, was not going to be sullied by such a down market fight. 

Buick, on the other hand, had been developing the 1927-'28 Master Six 128, 1929 Series 129 and 1930 Series 60 as contenders for value buyers in that price segment who would see the merits of similar specifications but for more moderate prices just below LaSalle and Packard Standard Eight.   The seemingly rising prosperity of the latter 1920's motivated all the major and a few minor medium-priced carmakers to develop and field upscale model series to take advantage of that trend.  That some arrived on or after the economic house-of-cards fell was a matter of unfortunate timing.

• Like 2

This one has been up on and off for 2-3 years at least.  Seller has played games with price, having it as low as 22k, then going up to 35K then "reducing" it to 27k.  Bottom line: no one wants to pay more than 20K for it.  Let's get real on the price.  This is a 15-20K car at best. Interior is a mismash of some original, some old correct restoration and some old incorrect restoration.  Paint looks fair at best in pics and surely worse in person.  Wood wheels should be painted, not natural.   One of the least attractive 1931 Buick body styles IMO.  Four door Sedan is much better proportioned.

I remember what seems like a couple of different times this car was listed, still searching for it’s next owner........

it sounds like I am in the minority, but I like it a lot.  I think the body style is handsome and it just needs to find it’s price point, which it eventually will.      

I could see it changing hands in the upper teens and the next owner really loving the car. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 10:42 AM, cjmarzoli said:

This one has been up on and off for 2-3 years at least.  Seller has played games with price, having it as low as 22k, then going up to 35K then "reducing" it to 27k.  Bottom line: no one wants to pay more than 20K for it.  Let's get real on the price.  This is a 15-20K car at best. Interior is a mismash of some original, some old correct restoration and some old incorrect restoration.  Paint looks fair at best in pics and surely worse in person.  Wood wheels should be painted, not natural.   One of the least attractive 1931 Buick body styles IMO.  Four door Sedan is much better proportioned.

I looked this car over several times at Hershey, never saw anyone to talk to about the car. It is a 15-20K car. As to the body style, I love it. 

On 10/25/2022 at 12:15 PM, dibarlaw said:

And yes, it did look worse in person.

My Dad and I had the same comment as we looked over the car at Hershey.

While I know just enough to get myself into trouble with Buick's, I was surprised to see a series 90 with wooden wheels and no side mounts.  Is there a way to verify it is a series 90?

• 2 weeks later...

I looked this car over closely at Hershey, I love the body style, so really like the car, but not at that price. Needs to be down closer to 15000 to make it hard to resist. Of course, no one was ever at the car to start it, or answer any questions, so I couldn't get much information, probably a good thing. 

• Like 1

Is there any reasonable possibility of replacing the missing instrument? Except for that, I really like the car, also. For that matter, there is also a 1929 Buick coupe for sale that looks nice, but is missing the spare wheel and a radiator cap. Are these essentially unobtainium?

Edited by pmhowe (see edit history)

• classiclines changed the title to For Sale: 1931 Buick Series 90 - $24,000 (Hershey)