1952 Chevy Bel Air wiring diagram

ILIKECARS53

Does anyone know where I get a better wiring diagram than what is in the shop manual.   Need to do some wiring on a 1952 Chevy Bel Air with automatic transmission, but the shop manual does not have the neutral safety switch wiring nor does it have the wiring for the defroster/heater, fuse panel and radio.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks  Jim

21 minutes ago, TerryB said:

I have that book and it does not show what he needs, except the 50 and 51 diagram does show the neutral safety switch. 

Those show the start wire comes from start switch going though the 2 terminal NSS then going to the starter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is going ok.  Traced all the wires etc.  In the past on other cars that I have done wiring I have used a wiring diagram for the gauge and color.  But on the Chevy since I can't locate a diagram for some of the systems, I have been stripping the existing wires to determine the gauge.  And now my question.  Is 12 gauge wire today slightly smaller than 12 gauge wire from 70 years ago?  It is not just 12 gauge but all the gauges.  I noticed that when I strip a piece of replacement wire from Rhode Island wire the casing comes off nice and neat with no cutting into the copper.  But when I do the same on the original wire, the stripper cuts into the copper.  Just slightly but it is noticeable.  I then tried putting an end on the two different era wires.  The end will fit a little more snuggly on the older wire than on the modern replacement.  I would not think that the gauge of a wire has changed but maybe it has.  Thanks   Jim

A bit late but here is a link to the start of the relevant portion of the accessories manual . Wiring gets addressed if you keep clicking to the next page! Lots of detail on how the entire system was to be installed.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/accessories/1951am/51aim27.htm

This is a great website, I keep waiting for it to fall into neglect when something happens to its owner.

Brad

I have the heater in my 52 wagon and didn't realise,  until you asked the question, that it was an accessory.

Did the Deluxes and Belairs come with these factory equipped ?

Or were these were done by dealers given the separate directions and lack of discussion in the shop manual?

I'm trying to imagine the poor schmuck at the dealership that had to install one of these every couple of days!

• 2 weeks later...

Started on the wiring for the Chevy.

011.JPG.d16e4aaf06a448041acee2d5b02d08f4.JPGLaid out the template for the main harness.  To the left is the front lights  and  to the right is under  the dash.

014.JPG.e0e0b0c5d527f3aea9d428f6108c0547.JPGAll wiring is run and taped.   

015.JPG.4ed0db2c970c2552366633bd809803e6.JPGAll dash wiring in place and taped.

More to follow.    Thanks   Jim

Is that wiring just for the heater or is it for the entire dash?

Looking good either way .Not sure if you are concerned about the appearance of the 'shiny' tape  ( at least that is how in looks in the photos) but a final wrap with black 'hockey' tape will give it a period look. Might be called athletic tape south of the border.

Is that electrical tape or the special harness tape that has no sticky?

11 hours ago, bradsan said:

Is that wiring just for the heater or is it for the entire dash?

Looking good either way .Not sure if you are concerned about the appearance of the 'shiny' tape  ( at least that is how in looks in the photos) but a final wrap with black 'hockey' tape will give it a period look. Might be called athletic tape south of the border.

That is all the under the dash wiring.  The heater is an accessory for 1952, so it is a separate  harness.   The wrap is a little shinier than I wanted, but close to the original that I uncovered under the dash that was not affected by heat and sunlight.  The original wrap that was in the engine bay was a lot duller and very brittle.

Started on the starting harness.  This includes the neutral safety switch starter button  and  coil wire.  This is a separate harness because the car is an automatic.  If it was standard shift, would all  be part of the main harness.

020.JPG.db4696493c7a4905f28ba7a25a03d152.JPGTemplate for the starting harness.

021.JPG.dbaffa8873fa585109b1951ee0015cb0.JPGStarting to lay up wire for the starting harness.  That black wire is 8 gauge.  A little difficult to work with, does not stay put, needed to clamp it down.

023.JPG.c058d4cf7eff53e3537612f54a45c370.JPGHarness wrapped with the same tape as the main harness.  The part that is not wrapped is in the engine bay.  It is from the neutral safety switch on the steering column, thru the fire and to the starter button.  I wrapped this part, but it should have had the braided loom.  This is far from a show car so that was not important to me.

Thanks for all the interest.   Jim

• Like 2

Great work!👍