Flea market fields - start and end? history

Walt G

Can anyone here recall when the Blue Flea market field ( now roller coaster site) ceased to exist?  Also the White field that was on the north side of the road - Hershey Park Drive.  That white field area I know was a landing strip for small airplanes at one point in time as a friend here on long island was a pilot and flew to Hershey and back in his small airplane ( he was also a Packard owner).

It was in the Blue field that CCCA had its tent set up and I gave a talk ( I was still a member then )  about coachwork on pre war cars and when I finished I had a crowd of about 60 people there and it was there that I met and became good friends with Ken and Mermie Karger .

The years just rolled along and I never took note of the changes. My first year in 1969 had less than half of the Blue field covered with vendors. There was a snow fence stretched across the back side, just open field to the East, we all stood there wondering if that field would be covered with vendors some day. Great memories. Thanks to everyone that made them happen. 

Bob 

• Like 1

Blue field went out in the 80’s if memory serves me. Then the White field went.  Yellow across the street for two or three years. I miss the mud, dust, and the time when you could find everything you needed.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Blue field went out in the 80’s if memory serves me. Then the White field went.  Yellow across the street for two or three years. I miss the mud, dust, and the time when you could find everything you needed.

Yes I agree. Had Blue field spaces for a few years, tight where a lot of traffic entered field. One year had to be towed out by tractor, there was a river which ran through it that year.  White field was OK but wore you out going  back and forth across it.  We complained about mud, but as Ed states, you’d slog through the muck and find good stuff at fair prices.  Now the refrain is “heck I can buy that on EBay with free shipping”… 

I go now to connect with people, though I will say this year I’m bringing a lot of stuff for sale, cleaning house…

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I had spaces in the old Blue Field for several years.  There was a Red Field for a few years too and I had spots there until getting moved over to the White Field.  I've been at both ends of that field - first two years down by the "duck pond" then over at the opposite end.  Remember well when the Yellow Field opened up.  What a disaster when it rained!    When the White Field closed I recall getting a note (or call) from Past President Roy Graded.  I think he was in charge of the new Green Field in front of Giant center and told me he had spaces for me there in front of the Giant Center.  I jumped at the chance to get good spots on the blacktop and have been there ever since. 
Drawing a blank on the dates right now but I'm sure if I have another Scotch, go through some of the old programs I've kept, and look at my photos I'll be able to guess more precisely.

Terry

2001 The Yellow Field was up and tunning, easy to remember due to 911. I spotted an airplane fuel drop tank in the pickup in front of me at the stop sign at the Grantville exit. Bought it on the spot and asked where the guys spots would be. Yellow field and it had rained. Strapped it to a two wheel hand truck and wheeled it back to my spots. Placed a 16" Ford wire wheel on all four corners and had a Phantom Bonneville race car. Got a lot of people stopping to take photos. I see the fellow that bought it every year, someday it will be a runner. Bob 

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I go now to connect with people, though I will say this year I’m bringing a lot of stuff for sale, cleaning house…

David,

That is my game plan as well, and I am exhausted every night just from packing and pricing stuff up. I hate to say it, but it's time. I can never complain I usually do very well at Hershey (weather permitting), but on Thursday evening I just want look at my spaces light up a good cigar and pop a cold beer and say "we don't have much to pack up" 

Best of luck

15 hours ago, edinmass said:

Ed, I can easily find you the dust and will happily provide some Hershey mud for you......don't miss it at all!

• Thanks 1

edinmas, I remember the yellow field when it was a "Mud Bog" and all sorts of vehicles were sunk up to their axles. They never used the yellow field again for parking. Someone said that there were natural springs from the Swatara Creek in the field, making it swampy all the time. I miss the field's and the mud, I remember going back to our hotel with mud up to are knees. The black top is very hard on my feet and knee's.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 1:52 PM, dalef62 said:

2005 was the last year of the white field.  

I remember when they were landing planes there…….🥸

14 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I remember the Green Field before they built the Giant Center, after a rainy Hershey, on Sunday morning it looked like the day after the Battle of Gettysburg.

The best and cleanest porta-potties were at the far end of the Green Field, no one ever made it that far!  I just remember looking down the main road of the Green Field and the far end looked so, so far away.   Sure got muddy at the entrance, bales and bales of hay to try to stop the mud and the muck.   It's all in one's perspective....one of the last years of the White Field, took my then-young son (maybe 7 or 8 at the time) and he had the GRANDEST time sloshing through the mud puddles in his boots!  

I do agree the asphalt is better from a wet standpoint, but it does a number on my legs these days, combination age (mine) and hard surface...

OK, I need to ask this question.  I realize my memory is different than it was a while back.

I remember going to a meet, I thought it was Hershey, and this would have been in the 1970s.  Stayed up on the hill in some barracks, 4 or 6 cots in a room, go down the hill to the flea market.

In my mind, it was Hershey, a friend and I (who's passed on, so can't ask him) drove up from Louisiana.

Am I remembering incorrectly?  Were there ever places to stay up on the hill at the school?  My friend was well connected so it would not be out of the question we were treated well.

thanks dc