1932 Canadian Oldsmobile DCR

Ted, thank you sir.

I did not expected this problems.

When opening the cover from the free wheel unit i saw a bolt that was coming out the back side.

The selector fork was already drag against that bolt.

I don't think this is a problem because the damage on the fork is not so big and the free wheel system is not used and always in gear.

IMG_4375 (2).jpg

IMG_4376 (2).jpg

to Jv puleo.

Thank u.

I like to have everything correct and make an extra effort to keep this  beautiful antique cars on the road so people can see and enjoy them.

You are right, the words restored got a different meaning for some people.

For me in Belgium, Europe it is really a big problem if important parts on an antique car are broken because it is not possible to find them in Europe.

i car repair some but not everything can be repaired.

Shipping is so expensive because of al the taxes for import.

Lucky there are some good people left like Ted who are willing to help.

The rod for the steering is bent.

The hole from the kingpin is worn out in the axle 0.06mm

Have to make oversize bushings and reaming to exact size for the pin.

There can be no play in the wheels for technical control.

PHOTO-2023-07-29-17-39-44 (2).jpg

PHOTO-2023-07-29-18-01-14 (2).jpg

IMG_4415 (2).jpg

• Like 2

I’m away and somewhat out of the forum loop right now but that drag link has that bend in it to clear the drivers side tire when turning. Mine actually rubs slightly even with the bend. Don’t straighten it. 
I am editing my above comment because after a better look at your photo that is the tie rod and it should be straight. The tires had to have been turned out with a bend like that. 

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

That is the weird thing and also the reason why i did not see it before, the wheels where in perfect straight line.

I'm going to straighten that tie rod but i don't know if the pipe will be longer after straightening.

the ball joints are  almost completely turn in now.

I'm sure it should be in straight line, now i read your comment on the tie rod tube, Ted.

There are two different leaf springs too, i think the one on steering side is the original one but the passenger side got one from an other car.

I'm going to have new leaf springs made.

There is a company that can make them.

Have to think up a way to position  the front axle on the mill machine for the repair and install new bushings. (there are no bushings inside but it is the only way to repair the worm hole in the axle)

The king pin set got new king pins that are just a little big bigger in diameter than the old king pins.

I can eliminate the play in the hole off the axle If i make small bushings that go in the axle hole the first few millimeters and have a perfect ronde hole to receive the new king pin.

Need to find out the type off oil for the shock absorbers, it's not in the manual.

Is there a repair set available.

IMG_4424 (2).jpg

IMG_4421 (2).jpg

Ted , MA 1932 Deluxe Coupe Roadster Best of Class. 2022 NAOC National Meet Judging Results.

Could that be your Oldsmobile? sir.

I appreciate the help in looking for the correct installation location for the heather, thanks.

For the shocks i found this oil but its for the Girling make and the one on the Oldsmobile are Delco make so I'm not sure it could be ok to use.

I wonder if  there is a repair set available for the shocks.

Work on the car progress but i found an other problem.

The front leaf springs are different so the ride height, right front side of the car is different than the left side.

About 12mm ( 0.5 insh ) more height , right side.

The shape is different too.

I'm going to replace the right side springs with new one made by company specialized in leaf springs.

It was difficult but i have now new bearings for the transmission axles , the problem was the rear big one of 80mm and that is not available.

Biggest outside size is 72mm and 35mm inside diameter.

Think i have a solution for the damage side on both main drive shafts where the needle bearing sits.

The cork material for the crankcase and differential is arrived too.

IMG_4432 (2).jpg

IMG_4425 (2).jpg

IMG_4426 (2).jpg

PHOTO-2023-08-04-10-01-46 (2).jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, my car won Best in Class at the 2022 NAOC National show in MI. That big bearing that is unavailable I assume is the rear double row bearing in the free wheeling unit? There has been many people looking for that bearing to no avail. 

Demco 32. To not get any further off track with Canadian roadster thread, I will start another thread for your car that you can post on. It will help get you further exposure with more members who could possibly offer you help with some of your issues. The thread will be called “ A 1932 Oldsmobile DCR in Belgium “ and it will be for your specific car and your needs. You can add pictures to update the thread for more information.

Nice to get first place after al that work and effort you have in the car.

I have good news for owner /restorers that have this bearing problem of the free wheel unit, Ted.

I have found a solution.

I have no idea of feeling with the inch system , we have metric.

The original bearing is 80mm outside diameter and 30mm inside diameter and it is not available.

But, FAG has a 80mm with 35mm inside diameter, so there is a bushing available that is 30mm inside and 35mm outside diameter.

Hope this information can help.

The height is exact the same as original. 35mm.

An other  thread ? will you sent me a link, sir.

I'm not so good with computers.

IMG_4472 (2).jpg

IMG_4473 (2).jpg

IMG_4474 (2).jpg

Now i have an other problem.

The bronze sliding bearing for the transmission cluster gear assembly are worn out.

The reversible thrust washers are worn out to but i made them new.

I can't find these bronze bearing, not available in Europe or in the UK.

I could make new bushings but there is a groove and  pits inside for the oil distribution and that i can't make.

I also paid the membership for the NAOC but so far no response.

I assume they sent a magazine by mail.

Do you know where these bronze bushings are available? sir.

Thanks. 

IMG_4439 (2).jpg

IMG_4445 (2).jpg

IMG_4446 (2).jpg

IMG_4461 (2).jpg

IMG_4476 (2).jpg

What are the dimensions of the bushing? I've thought about making a bearing grooving machine...I'll probably get to it when I need to do that. On the rare occasion I've felt the groove would be helpful I've put in a straight groove. In talking to my antique machine friends this subject has come up several times and the general consensus is that the improved oils used today make the groove nearly superfluous. However...I have also looked into doing it in the lathe by setting an extremely course thread. I don't have a setting like that and it's not readily easy with a quick change gearbox but if you have access to a lathe with change gears perhaps you could come up with a gear combination that would give you a long, curving groove. If I did this, I'd either crank the lathe through by hand or set the slowest possible speed with the back gears.

There was a short article published in Popular Mechanics many years ago on making a bearing grooving machine from an old, worn out lathe. It's been mentioned on the internet several times without the details of exactly how to do it. I blew up the illustration and found the date and issue of the magazine...then found a copy on ebay for, I think, $5. Now I know how to do it...I just have to find the time.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 2