32 Buick pin striping

Robert Engle

Since 1993 when I purchased my 1932 model 58, I've been attempting to become knowledgeable about all aspects of the 26 American models produced in 1932.

With my Victoria coupe now out for upholstery, I'm down to one final project, that to get the car pinstriped.

With all the 32's I've seen over the last 30 years, there appears to be no consistency in location, width and color of the pin stripes.

There are Dupont paint charts that "name" the stripe colors.  I have not found any paint charts to show the correct colors.  

Fortunately our 1932 Guru, Mac Blair made a study of pin striping and published his findings on colors, width of stripes and locations of the stripes.  He made charts to detail the locations of the stripes.

Unfortunately, many restored cars do not adhere to Mac's findings.

The number of unrestored cars that have not been repainted are very limited.

I recently purchased a 1932 56S Buick.  All indications lead me to believe that this car has not been repainted.  It is painted Grenadier Maroon with Grenadier Maroon Dark reveals.  All lower body parts (fenders, apron and splash pans) are Black.  I intend to keep this car unrestored.

The pinstripes are gone on much of the reveals, but you can see the gloss of the paint that was under the pinstripe that shows their locations.

The Vermilion appears more red that the orange of modern vermilion paint. There is no gold showing anywhere on the car.  My guess is that the gold paint was not as durable as the vermilion.  I have taken photos of all places where I can see striping or gloss where striping existed.

Mac's research says the pinstripes should be less than 1/16"ans spaced about 1/8" between the stripes.  The gold stripe is always on the outside edge of the reveal.

There are no pinstripes on the fender reveals.  Model 56 and 57 should have no striping on the lower body reveals. 

I'm sure some people will question these observations,  as is their privilege.  I will share photos with anyone that is interested.

I know of one 1932 57S in original black paint with both stripes Vermilion. I have photos of this car also.

If you know of any original paint unrestored 32's, I would appreciate the opportunity add their pinstripe info.

32 56 s 2.jpg

32 56s (1).jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Bob, 

I emailed you some more pinstripe pix from an original 32 that I saw in Lisle Illinois while at the nationals. I have the drawings from Mac Blair that he put out years ago I’m happy to share. For some reason my phone with the pix on it is not cooperating with the Forum this am. I’m debating whether to pin strip or not, I also have the color combinations for the stripes based on the color of your car. PM me as I’m becoming less computer savy by the day it seems.

Steve

Assuming that your 57S is color symbol 276 guardsman blue and black, The pinstripes would have been  Riviera Cream.  The pinstripes do not follow the pattern described by Mac Blair.  There are no known original paint 1932 cars with pinstriping on the fenders.  If you have documentation of the car shown that contradicts the paint charts, I would like to get a copy of that information to add to my research.

Bob Engle

I had both cars in the 1970's and sold them a long time ago, so, no I do not have photos.

I remember the striping because, at that time, I could not find anyone who would duplicate that fine striping as original, so I didnt stripe them at all when I restored them.

I did have a sketch of the original striping, but that is long gone too

My recollection is there were 4 fine stripes on the belt line on the body at the doors. 2 of the top stripes curved upward and followed the belt up to the roof. There were 4 strips on that too. The forward 2 stripes came down and continued on the hood.

Same at the rear where the top 2 stripes went up to the roof and 2 more atthe rear came down and wrapped around the rear of the car.

• 2 months later...

these are pics of old pics mine had a double stripe at the top and bottom of the top door crown ,when they turn to go up the pillar two turns into one witch makes two above the doors.the guys that did this were very skilled i think that was all they did .

P1010279.JPG

P1010285.JPG

P1010288.JPG

yes it was under a repaint ,about 40 years ago i carefully removed a layer of paint to see the pin stripping .the car is a 32 57S maglauglin buick made in regina canada .i will take a few pics of the stripping on the that i did on the car ,i did want to duplicate it exactly but just was unsucsesful  so i did a single wider single instead of a double that way i could tape and air brush a stripe at a time ,pics to follow ,thanks Bob for all you do for the 32 buick community .........

• Like 1

Unfortunately all the literature is artwork, and not photos and the artists took a lot of liberties in there drawings.  Unrestored cars are the best reference for details on correctness on restorations.  I am dealing with the same issues on the interior of my 1932 58.

Bob Engle

• Like 2