Unknown 1914 era Head Lamp

ShawnLancaster

A similar pair were shared asking what they fit on the Model T Ford Club of America forum about two weeks ago! The model T crowd has a lot of knowledgeable people, with experiences well beyond model Ts.

The entire thread can be found here;

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31419

The bulk of my reply there;

"I had a 1915 built series 16 touring car and before that a 1925 ER standard coach. So cars I had were before and after these headlamps would have been used. So, I am not sure how much I can help?
I did look through one of my go-to Studebaker reference books. As is usually the case, MOST photos of the cars are from an angle that does not show much about the headlamps. That rear mount is unusual by any common standard of the era. However, it appears to show up as early as 1918 on SOME models. Studebaker had a way of changing their marketing approach, model designations, and even use of year models, every few years. So tracking models through more than a couple years can be difficult.
In 1918, they were still manufacturing four cylinder models, as well as the larger six cylinder cars. It did not appear to be the four cylinder cars in 1918 or 1919 that had your headlamps. It appeared to be the "Light Six" models with lamps like yours. The "Big Six" models appeared to mount the same way, however, they had larger squarish bezels instead of the simple round bezels. I cannot tell from this book if any of the headlamp is the same or not.
They appear to continue on SOME models as late as 1922.
With the lenses in yours, they may likely be 1920 or later. I couldn't tell quickly when Studebaker switched to the diffusing lenses, but most cars made that switch due to changing state laws about 1919 or 1920.

I would suggest checking some of the Studebaker forums. I stopped using them when I had to sell my 1915 Studebaker. The Antique Studebaker Club is a wonderful organization devoted to pre WW2 Studebakers. They have a great magazine, and are very supportive of their members. I don't know how their website is these days. They used to have a few unofficial websites devoted to them."

The 1914 may be a patent date? Most automakers didn't switch to light spreading lenses until the very late 1910s. Some states began requiring them about 1920. Prior to that, nearly all automobiles had simple clear glass lenses. The "Liberty" lenses were used by a few automakers, and sold as after-market replacements during the first half of the 1920s.