55 Buick Roadmaster heater/defrost vent duct hoses

buickbrothers

Has anyone found a good source/supplier for the 1", 2" and 4" vent hoses? I'm completing the firewall rebuild and would like hoses. I have not found the 1", but I have seen some 2" and a possible 4" source, but I was shocked on prices. I might be able to reuse my 2", but I'm concerned about using these as they are very dry/brittle. I did revive my 4" used on the outside of the car between my blower and heater core but this was a different hose material vs. the interior hoses. Did a heavy cleaning and then used "Son of a Gun" which made it pliable again - looks brand new. However, these interior cloth hoses I don't believe I can use the same approach. Thinking out of the box, I've considered using 1" pond hose which is UV rated, flexible and a rubber type material. I know I could potentially use dryer hose for my 4". Any thoughts, sources or alternatives are welcome.

By the way - anyone seen the "new" web site for oldbuickparts. What a mess! I had one final order to make with them and can't find a thing now.           

• Like 1

Yep, oldbuickparts seems to have lost the "old" stuff. According to the nice lady who answered the phone the other day, they are in the process of upgrading to the New and Improved web page, but they have a few bugs to work out!!!!! She assured me it will get better! You'd think they would have the new system tested and up to speed before they dumped the old one.

I too need the under hood ducting for my 53, I may have to improvise now.

Thanks gents. Yes, the sources are pricy. 4" 38$ and 2" 19$ plus $16 to ship - $76 and I still have to get the 1". I think improvise is the key word! I'd like to keep everything original, as I have done thus far, but I'm getting near the end of the restoration and have some major cost items remaining (Windshield/back glass - I've done all the other, and upholstery). Do you think using dryer duct hose on the 4" and pond hose for the 1" is inappropriate? I'm going to attempt to salvage the 2" but the rest is shot.    

Check your measurements on the inlets for the hoses.  On my 55 Special, I bought the 4" first and then had to move up to 4.25" to fit.  Same with the smaller houses for the defroster vents, I bought 2" but needed 2.25"

Mark

• Like 1

Corvair uses 4" heater hoses to get the hot air from the engine to the heater system. Expensive there too! These examples are 3 feet long (to fit all models of hot air heater Corvairs). The fabric style (original style here) is really high. 

https://ssl.corvair.com//user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C386R

Many Corvair people go the McMaster-Carr route, and have to buy like 25 feet* to make the numbers work. I just buy from the Corvair vendor to support the hobby. My employer spends enough with Mc Master! They even buy 10 foot lengths of pipe and truck freight it in instead of just having the local plumbing supply deliver it. You can't fix stupid....😁 Yes, I complain all the time. Off soap box...;)

*Not as crazy as it sounds, as each car needs 6 feet, and most owners have more than one (the Lays Potato Chip of the antique cars).

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

Thanks for all the inputs. Found the 4" on Amazon that would work and was reasonable. The 1.5" I plan to use corrugated pool vacuum hose which runs about $4 a foot and you can get it at Lowes. I've salvaged my 2.25" through cleaning and then soaking in an armor all type solution which made it more pliable. The 4" and 2.25" are length needed was under 1.5 ft. The 1.5" was the main problem where I couldn't salvage and needed about 3 ft. All good now.

image.png.dda4a33e1e4e103d8878bb2698d6ea1d.png   

• Like 1