very early auto for you to id the marque.

JO BO

Wish I had access to the Pennsylvania license plate registry as that is either a 1908 or 09 Penna tag hanging from front axle. Looks like 3941 or perhaps 13941  If the pic was in color could tell if 08/09 but no color then.  We could see what it was registered as. Think John Shoemaker owner

Edited by JO BO (see edit history)

This is close, but I'm not sure this is correct.

These images are 1902-1904 Union Runabout and Touring cars.

Fenders are a good match, but the front of dash board lacks the border that shows up on the OP images.

1756491_orig.jpg

Antique automobile

Union (automobile) - Wikipedia

• Like 1

Thanks for the Union guess but yes lots of differences ...tiller steering comes off the side in mystery car while Union holds the steering in the middle of car.  Panels have vertical position where mystery car has fewer in number and horizontal. Front seat shape is different etc. 

thanks everyone for chasing the I’d of this car....it means a lot to me. Hopefully someone will find the answer. Wish they would have written it on the back of one of the pics.    

I think it is one of the 1901 - 1905 Columbia electric vehicles. 

The vehicle shown in this ad is a different body style, but there was a wide variety of body styles offered by Columbia.

This might even be the correct body style.

The ad states that the tonneau was removeable and could be replaced by a luggage hamper or a couple of different seat options.

image.png.01767f167b79882d0fbd39fe5b4f04c0.png

Edited by 95Cardinal
Added comment (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, the "backdrop" being held up is directly behind the rear seat in each of the photos. I suspect that they were trying to show the seat option...or perhaps advertise upholstery services? (I've had to hold up backdrops behind clients' products before for professional photo sessions). 

On 9/17/2022 at 4:35 PM, 95Cardinal said:

This is close, but I'm not sure this is correct.

These images are 1902-1904 Union Runabout and Touring cars.

Fenders are a good match, but the front of dash board lacks the border that shows up on the OP images.

1756491_orig.jpg

Antique automobile

Union (automobile) - Wikipedia

These three cars  above  all have replacement FISK Bolt on tires. Notice the bolts around the circumference of the rim. This was a fad  for easy changing of tires. The tire had steel vulcanized within, I know I have a 1903 car in my shop that has the same setup.

What interests me also is particular attention is shown to the car by holding up a sheet etc to block background(s). So was it special to them? Being offered for sale? Other?    It appears tires are either flat or bad   so was it sitting awhile hence the layer clothing aspect?   I believe the PA plate to be either 1910 or 1911 from what research I have done.  I have a special need to know.  Thanks so much. I only hope records exist for plate/ registration or the name John Shoemaker appears somewhere in the state/ county registry with yr/make now where do I find those records? 

On 11/15/2022 at 8:34 PM, mikewest said:

These three cars  above  all have replacement FISK Bolt on tires. Notice the bolts around the circumference of the rim. This was a fad  for easy changing of tires. The tire had steel vulcanized within, I know I have a 1903 car in my shop that has the same setup.

1902 Union is what it was misidentified as for years.    Tiller steering is not on side. Several other differences as you noted some.