Is this a standard 63 trim part??

Dundee

I have 2 stainless trims that seem to marry up with trailing edge of door. I can’t say I have noticed this trim on a car before? It’s not an ideal fit and potentially more damaging fitting it than the benefits of preventing edge damage!

thoughts??

E117B10B-942F-42CD-8BEB-9B23DE3E1ADC.jpeg

• Like 1

That's a nice set if the other one is in the same condition.  Use liquid dish soap and a rubber hammer to gently mount them. I would wait til I have some chips on the doors then hide them with the door edge guards.  A lot of people think there's a cleaner look without the door edge guards mounted. They blend better with lighter colors like yours.

2 hours ago, gungeey said:

That's a nice set if the other one is in the same condition.  Use liquid dish soap and a rubber hammer to gently mount them. I would wait til I have some chips on the doors then hide them with the door edge guards.  A lot of people think there's a cleaner look without the door edge guards mounted. They blend better with lighter colors like yours.

I like that idea will keep them as spares! the metalware on this car is immaculate last owner must have polished all the stainless perhaps with rouge and buffer and another once over from me..

IMG_5093.JPG

• Like 2

You've got an an extra set there.  I think that the door edge guards were standard equipment.  My '63 had them and it has about every option available except the rear window defogger (Texas car.)  I have the original window sticker and it does not list the door edge guards as an option.

319661254_1963Windowsticker.JPG.901e6f54c20553131b7c866b044ee1fc.JPG

Here is a list of models on which the door edge guards were an option - indicated by an X. 

The blank space in the S6 line corresponds to the 4747 (Riviera.) 6th from the right.

CODE
DESCRIPTION
S6
Protection Group - Door Guards adn Casoline Filler Door Guard
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X

X
X
X
X
X

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Here is a list of models on which the door edge guards were an option - indicated by an X. 

The blank space in the S6 line corresponds to the 4747 (Riviera.) 6th from the right.

CODE
DESCRIPTION
S6
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X

X
X
X
X
X

Interesting Ed! You have me searching 63 photos online and although hard to spot in many it seems lots without. Removed, lost or otherwise?? If not an extra are you saying all would have had these on 4747?

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

CODE
DESCRIPTION
S6
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X

X
X
X
X
X

Ed I was referring to the door edge guards in previous reply Re the double set, yes actually 3 and some others in the reveal department. What the project is lacking in nuts bolts and other peculiar parts it makes up for in trims, window winders and other stuff. Maybe for some trading at a car boot sale for some bits I need like trim under rear window..

PO bought a lot of bits from US many years ago and the resources into chrome and stainless were high even right down to rechroming the window washer jets…👀

I was saying that you had two sets of reveal molding, the ones that are on the top of the door skin at the front of the door.

Most guys that I know  remove the door edge guards 1) because they are thin stainless and get beat up easily, or 2) think that they break up the body line of the car.  If you do a search, you might find the thread where some guy shelled out $600 for an NOS pair. 

Google Mr G`s Enterprises.  He specializes in nuts, bolts, and screws and other interior and exterior attaching parts.  A few years ago, I parted out a complete 63 (bad rust) but removed every interior screw and sent them to Glenn( Mr G) he matched them up and now sells a brand new complete interior screw set. Only the ones you can see so nothing under something or any that are hidden. The kit comes with a list of sizes and which screws go where.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I would have thought that the door edge guards could also have been a DEALER INSTALLED optional accessory, as well as having a factory option code. That might explain why the door edge guards are on a car, even though they aren't on the sticker, kind of like cars having a purse hook installed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

The door edge guard was attached to the skin before the skin was installed during assembly at Fisher body.  If you ever remove some original door edge guards, you’ll find the inside edge sandwiched between the skin and door frame. 

Yes they definitely wedge between the door skin and still think paint looks to good for now to fit them!!

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

Google Mr G`s Enterprises.  He specializes in nuts, bolts, and screws and other interior and exterior attaching parts.  A few years ago, I parted out a complete 63 (bad rust) but removed every interior screw and sent them to Glenn( Mr G) he matched them up and now sells a brand new complete interior screw set. Only the ones you can see so nothing under something or any that are hidden. The kit comes with a list of sizes and which screws go where.

Ed

Will do on mr G's I remember you mentioning it in a past post but didn't remember the supplier..Will check them out as have ear marked door skin fixings thus far but any complete kit I am there.