'65 center console lid issues?

DShoes

What should have been a simple fix has continued to elude me... The center console lid on my '65 is loose and rattles. When I try adding some rubber washers, it won't close flush. I must be missing something incredibly obvious here... Wrong length fasteners? Something else? Can someone show me the light please? Note it does have the small rubber lid "bumpers" where the lid lands near the shifter. 

65 center console profile view.jpg

65 center console underlid.jpg

65 center console underlid washer attachment.jpg

23 hours ago, crowvet said:

My guess would be, that the rubber washers have lengthened the head of the screws, and they are now hitting the back of the inside black compartment. This would hold the lid up.

This is part of the problem. I’m going to look for more of a flathead screw perhaps with a shorter body to make sure clearance is not an issue. My first preference is no rubber washers at all. I trust you guys don’t have a lid that wiggles and squeaks?

Phoemsen, I tried your washer trick to discover one of the screw holes on my lid is stripped out. I know I could find a ued lid, but I just put in new woodgrain 2 or 3 years back and it would never match. I guess I'll keep laying my phone on it to keep it from moving