Back to (carburetor) School Photo

TerryB

This photo is about mid 1920s and features my wife’s grandfather, John Ernst of Pine Dale in Schuylkill county attending Carter carburetor school in what is believed to be Pottsville PA as that is where the photographer’s stamp is from.  John Ernst ran a repair garage in Pine Dale.  In the photo according to the roster on back is Claude Stoyer who had Cadillac, Oldsmobile and Pontiac dealerships in Schuylkill county, Hank Wellbank from Tremont PA who had a Kaiser dealership at one time.  I have the whole list of names if you are interested.  My wife’s grandfather seems way overdressed for working on carburetors.

9956B712-A19A-4FAD-A66E-99CDB9034D6D.jpeg

• Like 7

On 9/9/2022 at 10:36 PM, TerryB said:

This photo is about mid 1920s and features my wife’s grandfather….

Are you sure this photo was taken in the 20‘s…? As far as I can see they are working on downdraft carburetors and Carter did not come up with downdrafts until 1931. My guess would be around 1934….🤔

• Like 2

The Exide battery sign at extreme right got my attention.  It seems to advertise "Rentals" and "Recharging" services.  I never thought about battery rental, but probably made sense back then when batteries were relatively more expensive, car charging systems were less capable and fully charging a dead battery likely required someone to come back the next day...

23 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

Anyone from the Lehigh Valley?  My great grandfather had a chevy dealership, and later Stutz in Allentown.  

The names on the back of the photo only have a few with a town next to them and the ones listed all appear to be Schuylkill county.  I think the carburetor school was held at Bradbury Carburetor and Electric shop in Pottsville.  They were the biggest in Pottsville at the time.  The other big shop in Pottsville for repair parts was Ost & Ost.

My dating for the picture was based mostly on my wife’s grandfather’s clothing, Peter.  Knowing car guys are not much into fashion, it could well be 1930s.  In the pictures you posted the carburetor school they are showing must have been similar to the school my wife’s father attended as he too went to the Carter school in the late 1940s or early 1950s.  I had one of those Carter tools boxes the students are using that I got when my father in law passed.  He changed careers and became your friendly Snap on dealer.

245B7254-581E-4193-B6D9-59044EBE0E20.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TAKerry said:

Cool story. Orwigsburg sounds very familiar. I was working in Ringtown (above Frackville) for about a year and I think I passed the O'burg area whilst traversing  rt 61.

Yes, Orwigsburg is just off Rt61 and Pine Dale was on Rt 61. Your memory is good!

41 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Yes, Orwigsburg is just off Rt61 and Pine Dale was on Rt 61. Your memory is good!

If I have driven somewhere I can generally find my way back, and I pay attention to the road and places I pass. I am kinda like a human GPS, but dont ask what I had for dinner last night!

• Haha 1

The last Carter Carburetor School instructor was Ty Hughes.

He made certain that I was to get all the remaining school materials (textbooks, filmstrips, 35mm slides, etc.) which I have.

A digitized copy of the textbook was in the materials which I sent to the AACA library earlier this year. At present, have not had time to digitize either the filmstrips or slides.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, TerryB said:

Terry: Being interested in carburetors I opened this thread and took further interest since it was discussing Carter Carburetors, which I have one on my '38 Chevrolet pickup. The old photos are neat so thanks for posting all the other pictures and information. But wait, there's more! I'm originally from Reading (PA) and in 1971-72 drove PA 61 from Reading to Sunbury and then to Lewisburg, first wife was from Lewisburg. Last Thursday (8th) I drove through the coal region on the way to Watkins Glen for the Vintage Grand Prix Festival, and drove back through to Reading on Saturday the 10th. My best friend still lives in Reading (I live near Raleigh, NC) and we have been going to the Grand Prix Festival for the past several years, and take Route 61. Now for more, my Mother's side of the family was from Pottsville, she was born there, as well as her parents being born (1903) in Tremont and Minersville. The men in the family were coal miners and typically developed black lung; my grandparents left and moved to Reading probably around 1930. It's almost amazing how little has changed along Route 61 since I first traveled it in 1971.

In your first photo at the top of the display I can make out the word "ceramic" something, and one word looks like fuel but can't make out the other word; wonder what or how ceramic was used for back then. Anyway, thanks again,

Glen

• Like 1

Went to many races at the Reading Fairgrounds, my Dad first took me in the mid 50's (5 years old) and I loved it; one of the best half mile dirt tracks in the east, and a lot of big names ran there in the late 50's through the 60's. I think I attended every race in 1962, the last year they ran the Ford flathead engine. Then in '63 Reading went to the modifieds, and sometimes had a program for the old flathead cars. Great track to watch sprint cars on too. The last race was in late 1978, they just had to have the land for a shopping mall, then in 2020 that mall was leveled, not sure what's next. In the early 50's I would spend time in the garage with my Dad as he tinkered around with Crosleys, and that's what got me interested in cars; and one of my first words was "carburetor" since he must have been complaining about the carburetor not functioning to his liking. As you said, small world.

On 9/12/2022 at 8:44 PM, TerryB said:

Glen, I grew up between Tremont and Minersville in Branchdale.  Went to high school in Minersville.  Went to the stock car races at the Reading fairgrounds.  Small world!

• Like 1