For Sale: 1961 Cadillac deVille Flat top - "Lifelong CA car" - "Runs and drives like new, Two owners" - La Jolla, CA - Not Mine - 9/29 Reduced and on Ebay - SOLD!

For sale on Craigslist: 1961 Cadillac Sedan deVille 4-door Hardtop Flat top in La Jolla, CA  -  $36,900  -  Call:  619 821 01 zero two

On 9/29, Seller reduced price to $33,900

Link to 9/18 relist: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/los-angeles-rare-1961-cadillac-flat-top/7535479010.html

Seller's Description:

1961 Cadillac Sedan deVille 4-door Hardtop Flat top

• cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 69,000
  • title status: clean

Rare 1961 Cadillac Sedan Deville Flat top
Lifelong CA car, 100% rust free. - Super dry, perfect floors and trunk. - All original body panels, no accidents. - 390 V8 big block, automatic. - Lots of service records, and original books / manuals. - Always properly maintained and cared for. - Interior is immaculate. No stains, no rips. - Still retains both of its black and yellow license plates. - Power windows, power intenna and radio works well. - Factory A/C. - Paint is beautiful, always garaged. - 69k Original miles, 2 owners. - Clean and clear title.
Runs and drives like new, starts right up, settles into a smooth idle, and is whisper quiet. It cruises effortlessly and smooth at 70 MPH down the freeway.  Located in La Jolla, San Diego. No emails please.

image.png.eac4bfe3fa49be302600b98dde2d1f07.png

image.png.c7076ed21bc5640542e82b5b69f24789.png

image.png.f031aeb6cd2ea360a20b8b2154640ad2.png

image.png.be673bbd575c2f78ca049c622f517efc.png

image.png.9408d1f38f948b416df916f1958a2926.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1961 Cadillac deVille Flat top - "Lifelong CA car" - "Runs and drives like new, Two owners" - La Jolla, CA - Not Mine

It looks like it's all there and there's a belt on the compressor.  Judging by the rest of the car, hard to believe it wouldn't work.  If it's intact it should be possible to make it work, if it doesn't already.

Roll up in this car and you WILL be noticed!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Old car A/C systems never work. When they do work, it's temporary. And nobody cares if the A/C in their personal cars doesn't work, but you'd better believe when they're buying it from me, they want that stuff to be colder than a modern car system. I hate A/C in old cars, it's a black hole that sucks up money and never gives anything in return.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Old car A/C systems never work. When they do work, it's temporary. And nobody cares if the A/C in their personal cars doesn't work, but you'd better believe when they're buying it from me, they want that stuff to be colder than a modern car system. I hate A/C in old cars, it's a black hole that sucks up money and never gives anything in return.

Geez tell us how you really feel... ;) 

Customer satisfaction or taking payment isn't enough in return? 

Interesting...

I get what you're saying about the black hole, especially when it comes to things like factory a/c units or electrical issues, but I sure hope my mechanic doesn't have that mind set, especially when he charges me the prices he does. Certain things I refuse to do which is why I pay him handsomely to do it. Maybe it cuts into his profit margin, but that's one of the pros vs cons of being in business, is it not? Besides, I see him driving his classics with working a/c in this heat so why shouldn't his paying customers be able to ask for the same comfort.

If you were to ask my wife what things will your husband never do she would easily answer, "plumbing, electrical and a/c, he hates all of them!" (hich again is why I pay for someone else to deal with that headache). I'd suggest if you hate it that much you consider farming it out and working it into the contract with clients going forward. If you hate it as much as me, you're going to loose it someday ;) 

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1961 Cadillac deVille Flat top - "Lifelong CA car" - "Runs and drives like new, Two owners" - La Jolla, CA - Not Mine - 9/29 Reduced and on Ebay

I dont think the colour is hurting the sale of this car. It looks pretty good as is. Car looks fantastic, I know the majority of Caddy's are 4 doors but maybe that is holding the price back. Had this been a coupe de ville...................

• Like 2

11 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

I don’t think it’s the color.  It’s the price. 

I too think the price is holding back the sale.

Also, that overhanging roofline for 1961 I find

less than attractive.

For 1962, Cadillacs were little changed.  However,

the roofline of the 4-door hardtop was significantly

improved.  Here is a picture of a 1962 from the internet,

with the 1961 below it for direct comparison:

1962 Cadillac Sedan DeVille mauve.jpeg

image.png.9408d1f38f948b416df916f1958a2926.png

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In this case, it is more about the Flattop being "iconic" as a stamp of the time it was made.  I tend to agree that it was not an attractive interpretation of a 4 door hardtop, but we are getting into semantics.  For instance, John, I prefer the so-called "6 window" 4 door hardtop over the thicker sail panel on your example above, but again we are splitting hairs. 

I finally remembered the color name I like from 1958 - Laurel Mist.  

• Like 1

Oh, I don't know; to me, the roofline for 1962 just doesn't look right on this body. Doesn't mix well with huge tailfins and skegs, IMO.

I partially agree that the panoramic rear window is also somewhat out of place without a corresponding wraparound windshield; to me, it looked best on 1960 model, perfectly matching the reverse-slanted A-pillar:

296473345_686911e5e250f68b76ddec94aac591781.jpg.6b5bece5ffc191631146cedfe7e449f1.jpg

Still prefer this look over the 1962 4-window - or any year's 6-window version, for that matter; although I have to admit that it took some time for it to grow on me.

BTW, good sirs, haven't you noticed that the car is no longer available ? 😏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D2R said:

...BTW, good sirs, haven't you noticed that the car is no longer available ? 😏

I think the car is still available.  The original Craig's List

ad has been deleted by its author, says that link.  However,

we've seen from experience that that does not necessarily

mean that a car has been sold.  In this case, the seller has

put the car on Ebay;  at the auction that expired October 4,

he put a starting bid of $29,500 but had no bidders.

On 9/30/2022 at 2:11 AM, 6T-FinSeeker said:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1961 Cadillac deVille Flat top - "Lifelong CA car" - "Runs and drives like new, Two owners" - La Jolla, CA - Not Mine - 9/29 Reduced and on Ebay - SOLD!

The 4-window 4-door hardtops aren't often seen

among 1961 Cadillacs today.  However, in my several

years of internet browsing, I have seen a few.  Note

that one of them looks just like yours, except the

wheel covers are different;  one other has your paint

color but a white roof;  and the third is tan.

The last picture shows a 6-window hardtop, which

has a different roofline.  Cadillac made both in 1961.

I don't know anything about these cars.  I merely saved

the digital pictures:

1961 Cadillac 4drht 4.jpg

1961 Cadillac 4drht 2.jpg

1961 Cadillac flat-top 1.jpg

1961 Cadillac Sedan DeVille yellow.jpg

Congratulations!  You bought yourself one lovely Cadillac in a great period color!

Now, why do we see so few of the four-window sedans?  The production figures tell the story, from The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell:

Series 6200

61-62A 4dr 4-window sedan:  4,700

61-62K 4dr 6-window sedan: 26,216

Series 62 DeVille 6300 Sub-Series

61-63B 4dr 4-window sedan:  4,847

61-63L 4dr 6-window sedan: 26,415

• Thanks 2