55 Roadmaster Parking Brake

buickbrothers

Working on the installing the new firewall insulation. As a result, pulled the parking brake off in order to run the brake cable through the hole in the firewall insulation. I decided to clean and paint the brake while I had it out. After installing, I pressed the parking brake pedal down and it won't stay in the engaged position, just comes back up. It was working before with all the rust on it. I greased the sliding portion of the unit before I put it back in. Should I not have done that and that's why it won't stay engaged? Does anyone know what locks the brake down arm in the engaged position after pressing the pedal down? Thanks as always.   

Well, I figured it out. It was the grease/lubrication on the long skinny upper arm that slides between the two rollers. I cleaned off all the lubrication and the parking brake now locks/holds when you press the pedal. Since no one responded, I'm sending this update out in case someone else has a parking brake question and makes the mistake I did.

IMG_0972.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1