1914 Cadillac Touring $55K looks "original"

Seems to be a collection on Corscicana Craigslist

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/corsicana-cadillac/7530274705.html

1914 five passenger Touring
Bought from the original owners grandson.
Last year for four cylinder and right hand drive.
Only year for two-speed rear axle.
Has original cooler for food and drinks.
Never restored just kept.
Had one repaint and upholstery was replaced.
Both many years ago.
Never any rust out.  email: 3d6a83cf6662355c95f87a312103a880@sale.craigslist.org

01616_2ANYk4KvF9qz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00Z0Z_itSE2pwSUiQz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg100G0G_8oYBh277Bunz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00P0P_3hE8i3zAynuz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jim Skelly said:

It looks like something very heavy was resting and leaking on the back seat cushion for a long time.  Otherwise, it looks quite presentable.  

Probably the cooler!

1 hour ago, supercub said:

What is the compressor looking thing in the engine bay?

Strangely enough, it’s an air compressor…….

Flats were common.  Repair involved dismounting and tube patching.  Reinflation was the issue. 

cheap cars and poor people used a hand pump.  
rich people with expensive cars used the engine (or transmission) mounted compressor.   
My 29 Cadillac is so equipped.  Don’t know when they stopped.  

• Like 1

You could use the air pump to pump up flats but its main purpose is to run full time to keep a couple pounds of pressure in the fuel tank at the back of the car in order to push gas up to the carb. There is an air gauge on the dash. If you want to start the car and the gauge doesn't read at least 1.5 lbs, there is a small hand pump attached under the dash to manually pump up the pressure for starting. Cadillac (and others) used this type of pressurized tank up into the mid 20's when they switched to the vacuum tank system. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

We just call her by Aunt Ethel thank you

I just lost interest in the car, thank you. The front & rear seats both have that deteriorated foam stuffing look. 100 year old horse hair holds up better than that. I think it may also be pleather or some other fake material. The thick rubber trim is a give away too. Ad doesn't say if it runs. $55 is high if it doesn't run and wrong upholstery ?  Engine is big unknown. Weaknesses are cracked heads & inner cylinders and hinged rods. New castings are available but expensive. So are the copper water jackets which may get damaged when you disassemble them. 

14 is the desirable year for the 4-cyl because of the 2-spd rear. Timken made the 2-spd rear for Cadillac and both were sued by Columbia for patent infringement.  This car will cruise about 10 or 15 MPH faster than the 1915 V8 that came out late in 14. 

• Like 2

The air pump on the left side of the engine is for only pumping up the tires. the fuel tank pressure is maintained by the pump driven off of the cam shaft on the right side of the engine. I have restored two of these engines for other people and have first hand knowledge . fortunately there is a picture to verify this. if you look just behind the carb, there is a copper line that bends back towards the firewall. that is the air pump for the fuel tank.

Harold III

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1