For Sale: 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday Coupe - "Rare, Excellent condition" - "Featured in Hemmings calendar" - Tucson, AZ - Not Mine - 9/7 Deleted

For sale on Criagslist: 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday 2-door Hardtop in Tucson, AZ  -  $26,500  -  Call: 951 566 64 four six

Liink: https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/cortaro-1954-oldsmobile-super-88/7530139525.html

Seller's Description:

1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday 2-door Hardtop

• condition: excellent
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 30,000
  • paint color: blue
  • title status: clean

I'm selling this very rare and nice 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday coupe
V-8 5.3 Liter 324 Cubic inch very low miles 30k box a on the title, automatic Power disc brakes power steering, runs and drives good The car was featured in 2008 Hemmings calendar. It is a very nice car it was restored back in 2006 Does have a few cosmetics here and there but excellent car. Must see to appreciate it has a clean and clear Arizona title.  $26,500 considered trades for equal value or greater
Can use a new set a tires

image.png.b70fcc039689fda4bdc91a4906346398.png

image.png.3be73e660cc4daf72f48f0984f413980.png

image.png.edc66c6c9257419049075aacbfe609e6.png

image.png.8e97d7b83196e35ed7d8106844c87849.png

image.png.bfb0663373f63071c58f9ce0ac8b7b07.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday Coupe - "Rare, Excellent condition" - "Featured in Hemmings calendar" - Tucson, AZ - Not Mine

Fairly nice car but more pictures are needed. Interior not the best with the incorrect plain light blue seat material & worn carpets. Hood letters are from something later. I know that all 68 year old cars can be called rare today but the production figures of this particular model were over 42,000 in 1954. 

• Like 4

After noticing that the car has the wheels blocked in the first picture I'm thinking this might be a flip. It's parked on an inclined driveway with the gear selector up in the N (neutral) position. Anyone that's owned one of these old GM 4-speed Hydramatics knows the car can be locked in gear by placing the selector all the way over to the far right R position (with the engine shut off of course!) and the car will be locked it in Park position. it's a good idea to apply the parking brake on a hill but with the car in R it can't move. This is all spelled out in the owner's manual, maybe this wasn't explained to the current owner or he never read the manual if it came with the car.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Thanks 55er. I didn’t know that about R being P.  I wonder when manufacturers started using P.  It makes sense that it took awhile since this is not a part of any Manual transmission vehicle.  

Jake, in 1956 GM Hydramatics were redesigned and that was the first year Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles & Pontiacs had the actual "P" Park position located at the traditional left side of the quadrant. 

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday Coupe - "Rare, Excellent condition" - "Featured in Hemmings calendar" - Tucson, AZ - Not Mine - 9/7 Deleted
  • 3 months later...

This car just came up for sale once again in Moreno valley California. It's cheaper by 5 to 6 grand too!

1954 oldsmobile super 88 holiday coupe - $17,000 (Moreno Valley

serious buyers only please no trades $17k firm firm need it gone

I’m selling this very rare and nice
1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday coupe 2dr
V-8 5.3 Liter 324 Cubic inch very low miles has 30k box a on the title automatic Power disc brakes power steering  runs and drives good The car was featured in 2008 Hemmings calendar It is a very nice car it was restored back in 2006 Does have a few cosmetics here and there but excellent car Must see to appreciate it has a clean and clear $17k firm firm need it gone
please call me show contact info

Pros has entire tuneup oil change OEM fuel pump, OEM water pump OEM style gas tank  all new OEM style lifters runs and drives great had the brake system taken apart and clean  just stuck about over $4500 in the past three months just in labor and parts

Cons the paint is faded on the roof trunk and hood

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/7573166540.html

I do not own this vehicle and I have no stake in the sale

Here are some pictures of the engine:

00Q0Q_8ty9VT0vUjaz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

01717_cJVwkOYYichz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

01616_1v0ueH510Rrz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Wonder if there is even more we don't know.  Not only is the price 5-6 grand cheaper, he says he just sunk 4500 into it since he bought it.   Doesn't look nearly as good under the hood as it does on the outside. 

He also says I need it gone,  which is the classic cover for I'm done spending money on it and it's still not right. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My first car was a 55 Oldsmobile, very similar to this car. So I really like it, but it confounds me when you see a car with an ask of $26000 and a few months later the ask is $17000. Were you drinking when you asked 26k or did something catastrophic happen to the car to bring it down 9 grand?

• Like 2

There's a part of the story that we don't know. I get the feeling the seller bought a pretty picture from the previous seller or flipper? Though it looks good, in my mind it's tainted!!!

On 9/6/2022 at 9:21 AM, B Jake Moran said:

Thanks 55er. I didn’t know that about R being P.  I wonder when manufacturers started using P.  It makes sense that it took awhile since this is not a part of any Manual transmission vehicle.  

I believe Olds, and likely other Hydramatics started adding the "P" park position in 1956?

Our '54 Caddy still used "R" with the key off as Park.