55 Roadmaster Steering wheel install and final assembly help needed

buickbrothers

Ok, please don't think I'm a complete idiot. When I lost my computer drive, I lost all my pictures and documentation. I've been piecing things together ever since. I'm trying to install the steering wheel, horn assembly and center piece. I'm confused and just trying to make sure I'm doing this in the correct sequence order and that I'm also not missing a part. The below stack doesn't show when to install the shaft nut? I'm assuming it's between the spacer and spring since something has to secure chrome horn ring to the steering wheel. The first insulator seems to be part of the spacer (plastic ring on the back side of the spacer)? I don't have the indicated insulator showing that is on the top end of the spring. It wasn't on this car. Thus, my confusion if I'm missing insulators - it seems they are already attached to the spacer and contact plate backsides.  The contact plate also has a plastic/nylon ring on the backside up near the flange edge. I don't have this other insulator indicated in the diagram that goes on after the contact plate. Someone messed with this whole horn assemble. The horn button wasn't in this car. I built one from a horn contact I got from a Super and I also made a new horn collar that I installed on the shaft and soldered the wire to it. So any guidance on would be helpful. I can send pic's of the spacer and contact plate to determine if these parts had the insulators attached and why I don't have these as individual pieces or to determine I should have insulator's as separate pieces, and these are just friction/glide rings. Thanks.  

image.png.54d8f9263a20dd0292a026ff3530a7ff.png

Shaft nut goes on before all this hardware, diagram below courtesy of hometown Buick, shows the nut installed which isn’t in the prior exploded view.  Follow steps in reverse, lay all the pieces out.  The nut goes over that spacer, and the operating ring will have a lot of play in it and flop around until the remainder of the hardware is installed.  The spring pushes between the spacer, the contact plate and adjusting nut, and turning the adjusting nut in compresses the spring and sets the depth to push the operating ring to blow the horn.

Maybe if you’re (lucky? 🙄) you too can have a horn that blows every time you make a right hand turn….boy do people jump.  But that’s a different fix 🤣

Hope this helps.

https://www.hometownbuick.com/1955-buick-signal-system/

image.png.828d7b7a2ff7c0d7f80e177a0b1977f9.png

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thanks' KAD36. Yes, I did see this other diagram in the book, but it raised more questions. Note in the picture it shows the nut, then the spring then the spacer in the diagram stack.  But, when you read the text on how to remove the ring, you have to complete step 4 (remove the nut) and then 5 (remove the ring with cushion and spacer). I think I understand the order now and I have verified that I am missing the two insulators that go on before and after the contact plate. Any suggestions on where to get them? One other question - do you know what the "cushion" is indicated in the book - a pic if possible? Note the first diagram I sent doesn't indicate a cushion. I've done quite a bit of wood working over the years, so I know how to measure twice and cut once as a rule. With this car, I'm learning to check 5 times, shoot to install once, but you're lucky if you only have to reinstall twice - lol.   

Hmmmm.  Well this was awhile (years) ago.  The insulators are like plastic cups, quite sure they are identical.  I seem to recall there was no cushion on mine when I took it apart first time, (and my steering wheel was off 1 notch).  After seeing the diagram after it was apart I recall making one out of an old inner tube 

The as assembled diagrams in some of the exploded views are not exactly intuitive.  The spring base rests on that spacer, the diameter of the nut is smaller so it fits inside the spring no interference.  Per your first diagram I believe it goes steering wheel aligned to notches on shaft -> spacer -> nut -> spring, etc.  You can probably make insulators out of the bottom of plastic cups or something if you cant source an original.  Theres one on eBay now although the price is a dazzling, but there’s a picture and part number.

Hope am not rehashing what you already might have figured out.  Good luck.

• Like 2