Spelling and grammar checking

This topic may have been brought up before, but I thought I'd ask again.

I understand software changes are not easy, quick, nor cheap. However, many text programs include at least a rudementary spell checker that catches spelling mistakes, incomplete words, and even proper nouns.

Seems like forum members are well intentioned in their communications but leave a lot to be desired in their spelling and languade useage, some to the point of unintelligibility. (I am not including foreign contributers whom I applaud for attempting th communicate in English)

Are there "add-on" software packages that can be incorporated into the existing system without neccesitating a re-write or major overhaul?  Even something simple that could be a bridge to the next software release would help. Sorry I'm not very computer literate, but since we're  well into the 21st century, I'd think the software might follow along.

This may be a minor point to some, but a little positive reinforcement in how to communicate correctly and understandably might not hurt any of us.

Thanks for considering this.

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)

We all make mistakes sometimes. There isn't much the forum software can do about that. However, it does point out spelling mistakes by putting a red line under the misspelled words. You just have to take the time to correct the mistakes it points out. A lot of people don't take the time to do that.
(Click the expand button below to see the full quote.)

2 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

language_forums.aaca.org.jpeg

• Like 1

Ronnie, as long as you brought it up, your reply shows a weakness of spell checkers. The words "well" and "intentioned" in the second paragraph are used as a compound modifier and should be hyphenated (well-intentioned). A spell checker would not and did not catch that; it would require a grammar checker. But as I was going to say in my unposted post (see above post), this is a friendly conversation forum. We don't need polished business/college level writing. In Twisted Sister's defense, I have read some posts that I thought somebody let a chimp at the keyboard. My feeling is who cares about a few misspelled/misused words if the content of the post is understood and makes sense?

• Haha 1

Maybe it's my computer, but I've never seen a red line appear under any of my (numerous) misspellings on this forum. Is there a symbol to click on to activate this notification?

My thought was, since no indication of a spell-checker ever appeared on my screen, that having such a tool available would better enable forum contributers to communicate. Some posts, as you acknowledged are less than clear in meaning and intent. If more words were spelled correctly, then maybe some posts wouid not be misunderstood, frustrating the poster and confusing the reader.

Grammar and regional colloquialisms are a whole "nother thing."

41 minutes ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Maybe it's my computer, but I've never seen a red line appear under any of my (numerous) misspellings on this forum. Is there a symbol to click on to activate this notification?

I don't know of one. Perhaps you are using an incompatible computer/operating system; I honestly don't know. Perhaps this is a question for an administrator.

50 minutes ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Some posts, as you acknowledged are less than clear in meaning and intent. If more words were spelled correctly, then maybe some posts wouid not be misunderstood, frustrating the poster and confusing the reader.

While I don't totally disagree with you, this is not English class. It's the nature of communication that the speaker (poster) knows what (s)he needs to say but because of familiarity of the subject some important details are left out. The listener bases a response using his/her experiences which may/may not match that of the speaker. That's why you see answers that time and again are, "Year, make, model!", and "Pictures pictures pictures", to fill in the blanks. Sorry if I'm preaching, my college degree was Communications/journalism. 😉

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Spell checking isn't actually done by the forum software so there is nothing you or I can do as far as this forum is concerned to activate spell checking. Spell checking should be done by your web browser anytime you use the editor on any website you visit. If you don't see the spell checking there is more than likely a problem with your computer or the web browser you are using. Perhaps updating your browser is needed. Sometimes simply rebooting your computer will clear up problems.

Most people on forums aren't too concerned about spelling and grammar as long as the posts aren't too difficult to read. If it gets so bad you can't understand what is being said just politely ask for a clarification. 

• Thanks 1