Carb conversion

xschx

I have a hot air vacuum type choke on one of my cars. The carb is going fast and I need to buy another. I don't want to pay a lot as i am not going to keep this car very much longer. I have seen amillion carbs on ebay but can't find one with the hot air choke, only divorced style, electric and manual. So my question is how hard is it to convert over to electric choke? would i have to buy a plate to cover the existing plate with the lines coming from the intake manifold or would i have to get a new intake altogether? also what is involved in hooking the actual wiring to the carb? it is for an el camino with a 350 not a buick, but i own 2 buicks so that why i come to this forum.

Why do you perceive you need a new carburetor? What year of vehicle and type of carb?

Depending on what you have, it could be easy or it could be rather involved with the need to fabricate a few things. In general if you are replacing an existing Q-Jet, there probably is an emissions spec Holley spreadbore 4175 that will bolt on in the place of the existing Q-Jet. It could well have an electric choke too, that will require one wire to make work. Other things will depend on your particular vehicle and what's on it AND if it's original.

There are better places to buy carbs than eBay, unless you are chasing a particular carb for an OEM perfect restoration or similar. If you buy a used carb, you could buy some problems too. Might be best to fix what you have than buy something on there. Not to say there might be some deals, just make sure you get ALL of the hardware for what you need from the seller. Remember too that it could well be a used carb that will need an overhaul/kit before it is useable (and to make sure what you have). Might be better to spend the bucks for a new item with a warranty in some cases. Just be an informed shopper.

With the year model and such, I can give you a better answer.

Thanks,

NTX5467

its a 78 el camino with a 350....the original motor was a 305...i have no idea what yaer the motor is. it must be from around that year. the original carb need to be rebuilt but at the same time i must drive the car so thats where a new carb comes in.

The conversion is pretty simple. All you need is a keyed (ignition on only) 12 volt source. The unit I used, came with instructions and I had it done in 20 minutes. If you're replacing the carb, get the electic choke, it's the easiest to work with.

The air tubes that go to the carb attach to a plate with a tube that goes into the heat crossover area of the intake manifold to heat the air (which enters from the air horn area of the carb and is then pulled across the choke coil as it goes back into the carb.

If the later GM electric choke thermostats are of the same diameter, they should bolt in.

When I did the 4bbl coversion on my '77 Camaro, I used an OEM spec Holley and used the small wire from the alternator connector to run the electric choke. Just a simple splice operation. That same wire ties back into the main harness later on down the line anyway or ran the warning light when that was used instead of a gauge. Factory electric chokes used a special oil pressure sending unit so that an "on" ignition key wouldn't activate the choke heater as it will when things are hooked direct as I mentioned.

Check out some of the various car parts sites and www.racesearch.com for carbs. There CAN be price differences.

What is wrong with your carb now?

Enjoy!

NTX5467