1983 Riviera Convertible Bumper Filler Replacement - How to

Stephen B

Recently acquired an '83 Riviera Convertible and starting to go about replacing the bumper fillers front and back.  Noticed some previous articles on the subject, but does anyone have access to the tech article that a member named Ed Raner did years back?  Or does anyone have access to some sort of instructions detailing the process?

Also, what is the best place to purchase the replacement bumper fillers these days?

Thanks in advance!

Was trying to figure out how to get access to the Riview, thanks for introduction, Ed! I joined the ROA/paid the dues but looks like I have to wait for a while to get the next edition of the Riview to get a login and password to access the tech tips and any members sections.  Bummer, but Rome wasn't built in a day.  Anyhow, thanks regardless, looking forward to being part of this community over time.  You all seem very knowledgeable and have the same passions for these cars that I do.  A picture of my new addition is below, thanks again for any help and hope all is well!

image.jpeg.f2c9a591a0028d55d51eed941e9270b3.jpeg

• Like 2

Many, MANY, times I wish I had mine back.  It’s been a long time since in installed these bumper fillers. Since I did mine, I think there have been some improvements made.  To get the best OE look, make sure that you get one piece corner pieces.  Some of what I said in my write should still hold water, but I’m betting that some things have changed as well. In my experience, the fiberglass ones look better but the ABS ones are easier to install.  Good luck, ask others what their preference is.  The guy who owns CARS, Jeff (?), sells both and might have an opinion as to which would be better for you.  Take your paint code to your local paint jobber and have them mix the correct matching color for you. If you have the equipment to paint, fine. If not, have them load an aerosol or two for you.

• Thanks 1

Got access to your ROA write up on the process to replace the bumper fillers on ROA, it's great and thank you for being so thorough - I'm sure many have benefitted from it.  The Riviera owners community looks to be a great community to be part of.  Any chance you have a contact (email, website, etc.) for Jeff who owns CARS?  I'm new to this site and trying to search for Jeff who owns Cars is not the most narrow search...  Thanks in advance for any help. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stephen B said:

Got access to your ROA write up on the process to replace the bumper fillers on ROA, it's great and thank you for being so thorough - I'm sure many have benefitted from it.  The Riviera owners community looks to be a great community to be part of.  Any chance you have a contact (email, website, etc.) for Jeff who owns CARS?  I'm new to this site and trying to search for Jeff who owns Cars is not the most narrow search...  Thanks in advance for any help. 

Cars website: https://oldbuickparts.com

On 9/2/2022 at 8:23 PM, Stephen B said:

Welcome to the Riviera family!