Vintage Auto Commercials

STEVE POLLARD

There's too many!😁

I had forgotten about the wheelcovers on the Glacier Blue car, since if you believe current Chevy wheel treatments you'd think Chevrolet never offered anything but Rally wheels with short-tower caps.

I always liked these. Last set I saw on a car was at a Spring Carlisle around 2005. 69 Malibu.s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

This 1970 AMC Ambassador commercial with a young Robert De Niro.   It's given me two great lines spoken by the mother to use anytime friends or family get a new car:  "Joey! You need such an expensive car?!? and "Joey! So fancy!!!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozstatman said:

When translated to the other side of the Pacific resulted in this...

Thanks for the reminder, Mal.

And South Africa had yet another version.

"Braaivleis, Rugby, Sunny Skies and Chevrolet."

Ah, the devotion, wherever you are, to one's beloved

homeland and right ideas!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

I never got why people started calling GTO "goat". Made no sense to me esp with the Tiger ad themes. Never saw a thing wrong with calling it simply "G-T-O". 

I knew one nincompoop who called them "Gee-Too".🙄

I grew up in the L.A. beach area. My dad special ordered a 59 Catalina as a street car / strip car to run in AS/Automatic and I got my drag racing license in it at 14 and it became my wheels in 67. In 67 I got my driver's license. By that time, we did more street racing than strip racing because of the convenience and because of the money. I first started hearing this Goat term when guys were choosing each other off for races in the context of "getting one's goat". Jim Wangers tells a different story in regard to switching around the GTO letters to mean GOAT, to me is a stretch, but who knows. All I know is I don't like the term.

In 1966 Wangers had two Identical cars bob-catted out by Royal Pontiac and people in the crowd would race these cars I think for a prize or something. Sometime in the 90's Wanger re-created the cars again and the lettering on the car says it all GeeTO  Tiger. Even that guy from the TV show Dennis Gage would pronounce it wrong, he would say Gee-TOO Tiger, when it was meant to be interpreted 

"Gee" "T""O" Tiger. Dennis even got the Term RA111 and RA1V screwed up too. For instance, he would say Ram3 or Ram4 instead of

Ram Air 3 or Ram Air 4. 

image.jpeg.05a7cb8435e0f1dcfbb763968164e9e4.jpegimage.jpeg.a39368b784cf54268aeecef512868f4a.jpeg

Another guy that was always screwing up information was that guy who was the commentator for Barrett Jackson who seemed to own every car that came across the block in his youth. I think his name was Mike Joy and telling everyone when a 64-66 GTO, 442 or Grand Sport with an automatic that it was a PowerGlide!

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)