Rubber vent pipe coupling for '51 Pontiac Chieftain

Andy J

I'm putting my Chieftain back together and those rubber couplings that join the vent pipes together are rotten and unusable.Does anyone know where I might find these?I believe I can make them from a sheet of rubber or a piece of inner tube,but I want them to look nice. I would rather have the real McCoy if possible.

I have searched the internet to no avail.

That's the ones.I went to the website and it sucks.No pictures of anything would come up. I'm going to call them tomorrow.Thanks for the lead.It's all about just knowing where to look.

• Like 1

I called CPR last week and they sell all the rubber parts and hoses for the ventilation/heater piping.They were out of stock but said they would call me when the parts came in.They're going to send me a catalog,too.

Thanks again for the help john hess. It takes us all to piece all these old cars together.I can't wait to get on my other car(s).It's gong to be much easier because I know more places to look for parts now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My rebuild parts were exclusively CPR. At the time they even had one acrylic hood ornament on the shelf...not required but sure looks good! Depending on your budget, sometimes it's worth searching the internet for things. I found some bigger ticket items (ie. exhaust, carpet & headliner) lower in price but CPR is still a great place for one stop shopping. Sometimes I miss my conversations with Jerry. 

I have ordered all those parts over a month ago from CPR.The man told me the suppliers are having them made and that he would send them to me when he got them.All are rubber parts,vent pipe sleeves,the sleeve that connects the heater duct pipe to the heater core box,bumper to body seal,and the defroster rod bellows.I can get the car on the road without these parts,but I want it completely finished before I get it on the road.

I used a 4" metal dryer vent pipe and a 3" vent pipe I had to connect the defroster and heater duct work together.Works fine and you can't see it unless you get under the car.Just a few minutes ago I installed the new exhaust system,but I'm having a difficult time figuring out where the hangers go,with the exception of the tail pipe.I also got a carburetor kit from The Carburetor Shop and had a fellow rebuild it for me.

I've got it all back together except the grille.It is a real bugger! My seats and door panels are done and the upholstery man is waiting on me to finish up. I've also got to get new window glass cut because all the glass is stained around the exterior and is unsightly. I've got to get my windshield wiper motor rebuilt also.Since I missed my deadline for Cruisin' the Coast,I'm not in a hurry.