Road Trip?

I need to get some input from the DFers. I have a 48 Packard that in the past year and a half has rec'd: new water pump, fuel pump, intake/exhuast gaskets, rebuilt carb, resleeved master cylinder/pistons, brake shoes, timing chain/gears, radiator overhaul, valve adjustment, front end is tight, etc. I think you get the picture.<P>I want to take the car on a road trip up to my in-laws cabin about 90 miles each way. My beloved other half is extremely reluctant with the usual: "what if it breaks down?". <P>Without taking sides, do you think 180 mile round trip sounds like a good idea?

Absolutely DO IT!!! We do this kind of driving on our tours all the time, and often with cars much less well prepared than your '48 Packard. I'll make a recommendation. Take your beloved other half and the car on one of the AACA tours. That will make believers out of both of you. Enjoy your trip and don't run out of gas!!

A week ago my wife and I took a <a href="http://www.ply33.com/misc/Club.html">180 mile tour</a> jointly sponsored by three car clubs. The tour started over 160 miles from our house, so our total mileage was over 500.<P>Your 1948 sounds like it is at least as well, probably better, prepped than my 1933 was.<P>By the way, back roads are slower than the freeway but a lot more fun.<p>[This message has been edited by TodFitch (edited 10-23-2000).]

Chris,<BR>The type of trip you are talking about should be easy if your Packard is mechanically sound.. and it sounds like it is. Just be sure to go over it throughly before the trip as you would any other car. In my opinion, a car that is mechanically sound is more fun than one that is just shiny and pretty but not safe and usable. <BR>We take numerous trips thoughout the year in our stock 1931 Ford that are 2 and 3 times as long as the one you are considering...and we enjoy every bit of it. I have no reservations about pulling our Ford out of the garage any time and going anywhere. It is up to you whether or not you feel confident in your car. <P>Touring is the best part of antique vehicles. If you decide to go..Good luck and have a safe trip!

Driving the car is a great idea. To gain confidence (and inpire some in your wife), start now to use the car frequently locally. Take a cell phone, some favorite tools and maybe a tow rope, and use the car for errands, going out to lunch or dinner; in short, let the car prove it is worthy of your trust. The benefit of course is that breakdowns (if any) will be local and much less painful than far from home. Also, you will illuminate easily fixed details like wheel balance, leaks, etc., that make for annoyances on longer trips. It would be well to run at least two tanks of gas through the car to flush out debris and thoroughly wring out the car. Do a complete service on the car including fuel filter change and chassis lube and inspection before your trip and you should be all set. Good Luck!

Bill: As a matter of fact I drive the car to church every Sunday (weather permit). I think what is un-nerving is that at a stop the engine idles so quietly that you can't tell its running (no lie) unlike most more modern vehicles where you get feedback.

Take the trip - ditch the babe! grin.gif Just kidding. I presume that you did all the listed mechanical system upgrades for some reason other that you enjoy spending money and time. 180 miles is a piece of cake. If she remains nervous, take a cell phone along.<BR>Enjoy the car before the weather turns cold.

Chris,<BR>Funny you should mention this. We had scheduled to go to Central Texas for a Buick show this past weekend. I prepped my '47 last weekend and drove it about 50 miles just to make sure. We left Friday and returned on Sunday. No problems unless you count the rain and vacume wipers. Rainx takes good care of that.<BR>A friend was going also in his 95 Chevy pickup and he made it about 1/2 way before the dreaded "Check engine" light came on. He pulled over stopped the truck and looked and then was towed home cause it wouldn't start again.<BR>Just goes to show you that it can happen to anyone anywhere. <BR>Take the trip.<BR>Bill

They didn't build them to look at! smile.gif As long as there's no unacceptable roads in the trip (rough/dangerous/short I-95 on-ramps/etc.) I'd go for it.<P>One suggestion, go down to your local AAA office and buy one of their AAA Plus memberships. You'll get free towing up to 100 miles (3 per year max.). You almost certainly won't need it, but that'll calm the other half's nerves (it worked on mine!).<P>In addition to the usual tool and saftey kit and emergency fluids, I generally carry a fuel pump, water pump and voltage regulator with me. These are usually the things that'll let you down on a trip.

Chris, These guy's are giving you good advice. Last weekend i loaded up the four kids the wife and headed on a hundred mile round trip in my 1928 Moon everything went fine and think of all the memories we created. We were on interstate 81 going through Pennsylvania and had a State Trooper pull up beside me and tell me i was going 72 miles an hour. All cars were made to run i hope you put your to the test. I agree with todd try the back roads they are slower than the interstate and are just as fun. Bruce has a good point. Touring is the best part of antique vehicles. If you decide to go..Good luck and have a safe<BR> trip!

Okay: We went! Of course i took along tools, parts, fluids, AAA card, cell phone, etc. and didn't need any of it (of course if I didn't take it, well you know). The car ran fine all the way up and back. And what an experience! I think the best part was when I let my other half drive for a while. The road was a little winding and I couldn't help but laugh when going around a curve when I heard "Okay, turn now, let's turn". I just remarked "A little different from power steering, isn't it?".<P>There were a couple of other observations that I am sure some of you are familiar with. I must say that most other drivers are very considerate. There are some others who:<BR>- should realize that your car does not accelerate off the traffic light like a Cobra AC.<BR>- when pulling out of side streets should realize that brakes are a little different on these cars. <BR>- should realize that if the speed limit is 55 (only a short stretch that links the secondary roads)and I am in the extreme right lane doing 55, tailgating me will not get me to move faster. They have 3 other lanes to chose from.<BR>- On winding secondary roads (average speed limit 35) don't expect me to go 50 because I will not abuse my steering and tires. (and yes, if i noticed a group of 3 cars behind me, I would pull over and let them pass).<BR> <BR>Maybe we could have some of these suggestions put into each states' drivers manual?<P>

CONGRATS CHRIS AND OTHER HALF!!! You are correct that your experience is well known to those of us that regularly drive the old tin, however, it's good to learn these for yourselves. Am particularly impressed that you let the other half also share the driving experience. That's an important step and very smart. Back some years ago the Glidden had a special day for the spouses to drive. Sally was apprehensive but played the game and drove the '34 Chevy (I was the nervous one). Later we had a problem and the only way to solve it was for her to drive the car again. With her Glidden experience, she had no problem and I really think she enjoys our tours now that she knows she can drive also, when I let her!! Again, congrats - look forward to seeing you all on some of the tours.

Let me add my congratulations!<P>One more thing you might add to your list of what young drivers should know: Hand signals. smile.gif<P>I am glad the trip went well. Given the preparation you mentioned I had no doubts about a successful trip.<P>Tod