Spare emergency kit

Reminds me of my high school years when I wanted to take flying lessons. My Mama would go into orbit if I so much as mentioned it. 

After yet another screaming match about it, my Dad finally said "boy, if you get up there and break down, you can't pull off the road and raise the hood to see what's wrong".

I never learned to fly.

• Like 1

Go take lessons or at least an introductory flight. It's a ball. If the engine quits the plane does not fall like a rock. It will glide for a good distance while you look for a landing sight, then you just land. It's a ball seeing the country low and slow at 3,000 feet or so.

dave s 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:26 PM, rocketraider said:

Reminds me of my high school years when I wanted to take flying lessons. My Mama would go into orbit if I so much as mentioned it. 

After yet another screaming match about it, my Dad finally said "boy, if you get up there and break down, you can't pull off the road and raise the hood to see what's wrong".

I never learned to fly.

I had a similar experience,

especially when, during my college years, I got into:

sports car racing,

parachute jumping,

and Sky Diving .

Then when Dad turned 50, he learned to play saxophone, and got his private Pilot License, joined the Rari-Ten group,

flew a Cessna 172,

a Piper Cherokee 180-D,

and later, a Beechcraft Bonanza.

Years later, retired in Florida, a friend with (I think) Eastern Airlines would get him time on their L-1011 Simulator/Trainer (very different from flying a single-engine aircraft with your IFR - Instrument Rating (Hood Time). The L-1011 was supposedly the first passenger jet designed to be able to fly itself from takeoff to landing. 

When Dad told Mom he had some "Hood Time", meaning he had to rely on instruments rather than vision through the plane's windshield, she misunderstood, and responded that it was good because he always was good at "working on engines".

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

On 8/29/2022 at 9:00 AM, Buick35 said:

I wonder if when we return to the moon the'll pack an emergency kit like old car drivers do. Spare fan belt,starter,J-B Weld and of course duct tape.

I attended an old car gathering at the home of Roger Hadfield a few years ago. His son, astronaut Chris Hadfield, was there. I dropped my camera on the cement garage floor, breaking the latch on the little door that holds the battery in. Chris took the camera over to the work bench and cut a piece of duct tape to hold it shut. "I'd never go to space without a roll of that stuff", he said.

• Like 1