Zep Floor Wax Finish Experiment on 1949 Roadmaster

Dan O

I have looked at boiled linseed oil, clear coat etc and went with Zep Floor wax on my old original finish 1949 Roadmaster today.  So, I thought I would share the process and results with the board. 

The car was pretty clean and I hit it with CLR and a  Scotch Brite scrub sponge about three times to get off the old dirt and loose rust.  The CLR is a mild rust remover at best but did what I wanted and was not too rough.  Some folks use Bar Keeper's Friend and that is probably OK as well.  This course just took off all the loose rust and dirt,  It did not knock off any paint and I am glad of that.

Once dried, I applied three coats of the Zep floor wax with a clean sponge.  Many RV owners use the Zep on their rigs so this is where this idea comes from, I believe.  I waxed this thing by hand back in 1985 just for grins when I was a mere child and it looked pretty good but time has degraded the paint even though it has been in a barn.   The directions say to swirl it on your floor and that is probably best for the first coat but it does show swirl marks and long sweeps are probably better.  It is forgiving with multiple applications that even it all out, more or less.  I am wondering what a buffing will do.

Before & after pictures follow. 

Some like the so-called patina some do not.  I would love to paint it but I just don't think dropping $20k on body work and a paint job is wise.  So I will enjoy her as she is for a bit and decide what to do next.

What do you think??

before.jpg

before 2.jpg

IMG-1667.jpg

IMG-1666(1).jpg

IMG-1663.jpg

IMG-1662.jpg

IMG-1665.jpg

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, Dan O said:

Some like the so-called patina some do not. 

"Patina" is a marketing euphemism aimed at upselling a car with a deteriorated paint job. I don't like the term either, but I do admit it's clever.

BTW, your efforts on the paint job came out pretty nice. It looks much better, and it has some added protection.

Edited by Machine Gun (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

That came out good. There's a lot of real estate on these old cars. How long did it take? 

Not everyone has the time, energy or money to do a paint job on an old car (me included). That shouldn't stop you from enjoying it and trying to preserve it as best you can. Good job. 

• Like 1

That work is easily worth $1500 to $3000 on a flip, been doing it for years. I hear that you can't make any money selling old cars but the guys saying that would go after the car with 80 grit sandpaper, much wiser to use an oily rag (or kerosene).

Yet another time the term "dogma" pops into my mind.

And I do touch ups. A few times people have asked me "When are you ever going to paint a whole car?" I'd clean one up and sell it if it needed that much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The car looks fantastic and the patina and subtle shine suits it very well. When I got my 53 Riviera, i kept it in the garage for 4 years before I knew what to do with it. Time will tell you.  If you want to unload it, there a plenty of people to take the burden from you - including me! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, oldstyle said:

I don't mean to take this thread off track but...How do you like the car? I sold my 49 76s before I could get her on the road. Drives nice on the freeway? 

Thanks,

Raul

I made some comments in another thread here - "I did drive it 25 miles today and it did well.  It gave a  bit of resistance at speed when I tried to push 70mph and surged a bit as if it just would not go over 70,  but then it did and cruised along at 70 for most of the way.  I have a rebuilt motor, tranny, brakes, carb, etc so she should run like new.  I have driven extensively in a 54 Ford, 53 Merc back in the 70's and they ran better that this so something is going on. "  It does ride very smoothly on rough streets with potholes.  Most of the rubber has been replaced and it has zero body squeaks so that is nice.  The Dynaflow winds up and takes you down the highway in a dignified albeit moderate rate of acceleration - no complaints really.  Brakes well enough.  Not too noisy with the windows down. So it's not thrilling to drive but it's got a LOT of style and that's the point with these pre-sixties cars imho.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...