California Will No Longer Sell Gas-Powered Cars (2035)

Twisted Shifter

My brother just got back from Los Angeles.  Five or six lanes each way, bumper to bumper, making a 40 mile drive a four hour ordeal.

Now, imagine all those thousands of cars being electric, and some of them desperately needing a charge, and how many thousands of charging stations would be needed.

I just can’t see it.  I have nothing against electric cars, but I think it’s a pipe dream to think California can get rid of gasoline and diesel powered vehicles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

This is going to happen sooner or later...

I think that there is a great opportunity for investment profit for those with foresight. Gas stations and other businesses are adding electric car charging stations at an increasing rate. The technology is here and those willing to research the future potential and speculate to some degree may very well be rewarded. Just my opinion.   (Did you buy Microsoft or Amazon stock ?)

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, f.f.jones said:

This is going to happen sooner or later...

I think that there is a great opportunity for investment profit for those with foresight. Gas stations and other businesses are adding electric car charging stations at an increasing rate. The technology is here and those willing to research the future potential and speculate to some degree may very well be rewarded. Just my opinion.   (Did you buy Microsoft or Amazon stock ?)

I would agree that it could happen, but only agree conditionally.  That plug in the wall needs power generation behind it…

The US needs nuclear power plants, which in today’s environment are virtually impossible.

Hydroelectric is a good choice, as the US closes such plants, or can’t operate them due to low water levels.

Coal plants are…well, never mind.

Wind farms?  Wow, do some research, sounds great but a disaster from cost, bird kill, oil usage for lubrication, failures, no wind…the list goes on…

Solar?  Not enough square footage in the world to supply what we need, greatly improved though…

Trucks. Power to deliver goods.  Whole ‘nuther  subject…

Yes, there’s a future in EV’s.  No, there’s not an easy path to all EV’s, if it indeed exists at all….

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Last I heard it gets COLD🥶 in New York winters...

Of course the people who dreamed up this farce will be mostly dead and gone, and won't be held accountable.

Funny thing I live in NY and never heard of it, I would tend to think it is a farce, or some distorted interpretation of what the real story is. I recall reading if you heat your home by oil and convert to a different source you would get a tax rebate on the cost of the conversion.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I would agree that it could happen, but only agree conditionally.  That plug in the wall needs power generation behind it…

The US needs nuclear power plants, which in today’s environment are virtually impossible.

Hydroelectric is a good choice, as the US closes such plants, or can’t operate them due to low water levels.

Coal plants are…well, never mind.

Wind farms?  Wow, do some research, sounds great but a disaster from cost, bird kill, oil usage for lubrication, failures, no wind…the list goes on…

Solar?  Not enough square footage in the world to supply what we need, greatly improved though…

Trucks. Power to deliver goods.  Whole ‘nuther  subject…

Yes, there’s a future in EV’s.  No, there’s not an easy path to all EV’s, if it indeed exists at all….

I believe the other problem with wind power generators is the relatively short life of the blades and towers and the lack 're-usability'(?  ) of the blades in particular. I read somewhere recently that solar panel are ok in theory but as with electric car batteries there are issues in their production. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Will they have to change the location of the Pebble Beach shows?

Just because there will be no gas powered cars sold after 2035 doesn't mean there won't be plenty on the road for quite a few years after that. At least until they ban the use of gas powered vehicles and then maybe much of the population will move to another state??

• Like 3

Just FYI

Solar Panel Waste: The Dark Side of Clean Energy
Tons of solar panels installed in the early 2000s are reaching the end of their lifecycles, posing a serious problem for the industry to contend with. Current solar panel disposal practices are far from being environmentally friendly.

Studies have shown the heavy metals in solar panels — namely lead and cadmium — can leach out of the cells and get into groundwater, as well as affect plants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Calif passed a zero emissions vehicle law in 1990. It was supposed to mandate 10% of the fleet be ZEVs by 2003. Everyone was up in arms then, too. More to the point, there hasn't been a car built this century that I have even the remotest interest in owning. More EVs means more oil for the rest of us.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Last I heard it gets COLD🥶 in New York winters...

Of course the people who dreamed up this farce will be mostly dead and gone, and won't be held accountable.

The puppets generally will be gone but the puppeteers will be around.

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Just because there will be no gas powered cars sold after 2035 doesn't mean there won't be plenty on the road for quite a few years after that. At least until they ban the use of gas powered vehicles and then maybe much of the population will move to another state??

Wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility.

2 hours ago, TTR said:

Looks like another click bait thread with nothing to do with "Antique" cars ...

...other than their foreseeable relegation to museums and scrap if a viable solution is not found.

2010 vintage cars will be considered "antiques" by 2035, 25 years!

59 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

If they developed an engine that would run on methane the politicians could power all the cars in California for years.

Won't do any good. They don't want any Carbon emissions and methane is a mixture of carbon and hydrogen. In fact, I just don't know what they are going to do about people and animals in general. Not only do we exhale carbon dioxide, but we also sometimes give off a little methane. Cows are really good at a lot of methane!

• Like 1

• Ronnie locked this topic