Parked outside Decker's Garage, Staten Island c.1940

SIRAACA_Editor

It is hard to find reference photos of cars taken from a rear three quarter view but I think two possible contenders for that big car are either the 1933 Buick Series 90, or a Cadillac or LaSalle which shared the same basic body,  or the 1933 Studebaker Speedway President.

Oval-ends rear window with flattened top and bottom is Pierce 1932-38.  I *think* it's a 1933 Pierce, as I *think* I see the abbreviated valances on the front fenders (not on 1932) and the 1931-33 "Arrolite" triplex rear light on the LR fender.  The 8 and 12 series (n)36 (that is, 836 and 1236) had an extra 3 inches of wheelbase to 139 for 7-passenger sedans and limousines, which visually lengthened and lowered the body to a surprising degree over the 136" wb.  Could be the real Big Boy on the 147" wb.

• Like 1

The location of headlights seems wrong for Pierce. The bugeyes were usually centered on front of front fenders then, but OP appears to show conventional headlights, close to rad shell. Of course, an owner could have modified car to bullet headlights! Then again, there may be evidence of a pierce headlight very far out from fender, and the inner light could be a driving light installation, or a reflection of something beyond car on another vehicle. 

Old Car Photo, winter.png

1932 Pierce Arrow.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

"Bracket" (i.e., non-integrated) headlights were still available on Pierce in 1933 at an additional charge, but very rare.  Studebaker bodies were very similar, near identical, but the long wheelbase argues against Stude.  Sometimes we just can't be sure....

15 hours ago, Grimy said:

"Bracket" (i.e., non-integrated) headlights were still available on Pierce in 1933 at an additional charge, but very rare.  Studebaker bodies were very similar, near identical, but the long wheelbase argues against Stude.  Sometimes we just can't be sure....

The seven passenger Studes in that era 135" wheelbase.

EDIT - since I first wrote that I have been advised the car is not a Stude.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a 1933 PA. Until recently I owned one and helped a friend restore his 33 Studebaker President Speedway. The body design is nearly identical, although the body stampings are different. The windshield shape and size is identical. I believe that the fenders are the same, except for the PA headlights. Comparing the fenders right next to one another I couldn't tell the difference. Under the fender welting on the rear fenders of my Pierce was stamped an "S." For years I wondered about the "S," that is until a friend who was a Studebaker expert, and who had once worked for the company, told me that it was the mark of "Standard," a stamping mill in South Bend that Studebaker had a contract with. There were other observed similarities that set the 33's apart from other years, but I better shut up or the Pierce experts might take me to task.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2022 at 5:03 PM, SIRAACA_Editor said:

Looking to ID the four primary cars in view.  Looks to be a '33 Plymouth at left, and what appears to be a 1936 Chevrolet and 1940 Dodge in the center.

Can we figure out the big boy on the right?

Thanks,

Paul847692615_deckersgarage.png.7969964ac25d8ff30abfc86f4f29eeec.png

I believe the car to the right of the '36 Chevy is a '40 DeSoto.  Dodges had a dip in the front bumper.  Also note the louver-like details beneath the rear of the side hood trim.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 11:29 AM, Dave Henderson said:

I believe the car to the right of the '36 Chevy is a '40 DeSoto.  Dodges had a dip in the front bumper.  Also note the louver-like details beneath the rear of the side hood trim.

Hello Dave - your points about the '40 Dodge vs. '40 DeSoto look to be correct.  Thanks for your eagle-eyed observations.