1929 Dodge Senior Six Restoration

Hello all, I am from northeast Louisiana and am in the process of purchasing this 1929 Dodge Senior Six Sedan. I don't know much about the history of this specific vehicle, but it appears to be restorable. I have already learned a lot from reading other forums on this site. I wanted to start this forum so that perhaps others with helpful information would become aware of it and potentially answer the questions that I inevitably will have during this project. My goal here is to keep the car as original as possible, while also putting it in as good working condition as practically possible. I am a Mechanical Engineer and Gunsmith and I have a profound love for old things and old-time craftsmanship, but I am not an auto mechanic and this will be my first venture into this arena. Once I bring the car to my place I'm sure I will begin asking questions and providing as much information as possible. 

Front Right.jpeg

Front Left.jpeg

Dash.jpeg

Interior.jpeg

Engine.jpeg

• Like 3

Good luck!  Looks like a worthwhile project.  When was it last on the road?  Tires don't look too old.  What's the date of the inspection sticker? 

3 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

Good luck!  Looks like a worthwhile project.  When was it last on the road?  Tires don't look too old.  What's the date of the inspection sticker? 

If I remember correctly from my first viewing of the car, the Texas inspection sticker is from the 1980's. The story I got from the seller was that her grandfather was a tank mechanic in WWII and after that was a career auto mechanic (the remnants of his workshop seem to confirm that). He purchased the car from somewhere in the Dallas area when he was 85, but sadly he was already in poor health and was not able to progress very far with it. The man has since passed quite some time ago, but the family is now selling the property and the new owners did not want the car so the family is selling it also. 

I am restoring a 1928 4 door Senior  for the last 10 years. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM DODGES OF THAT ERA UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO DO WOOD WORK.

I was on this forum for the past six years( under the name trini) and asked for hep. It seems no one in the world knew anything about Dodges of that era. The only help I got was from Ron Lawson in Australia. I have staminner and courage because I am a fighter. Not a quitter. Now I know how to handle the 28 DB with my eyes closed.Parts are not easy to come by. Prices are gone up by almost 40 %

If you still intend to buy it do a thorough check. Some sellers tend to hold back pieces.  It happened to me. The seller hid the brake shoes but give it to me afterwards because he was satisfied with the overprice I paid. I loved the car because I am fascinated with wood spoke wheels.

I would advise check Meyers Early Dodge and speak with Tom about the availability of parts. I have the wood spokes replaced by the fellow in Pensylvania (13 hundred dollars and all new tires, tubes and flaps ,3000 dollars) a car that old needs needs them. Do not compromise safety.

It is bandied about that the true DB are those made, prior to 1928. From 29 on, they are Chrysler. Please do your research.  The nice thing about the "29' is the Deleco generator is mounted on the block. The bad thing is the exhaust flows toward  the rad and then makes a 180 degrees  turn just below the carburetor. I heard old timers complain about vapor lock caused by the exhaust heat.  Check the roof for wood rot. That canvass will have to be replaced. All glass will have to upgraded to laminated type. Some rubber parts are available at Steele Rubber. To remove the inside door handle you may have to smash the escutchian which is threaded . Reproduction handles will cost you about 500 dollars for 4. Restoration Supplies in Cali is a good source for some old style parts.

If you need help contact me by email because I do not be on this forum often.

Cheers and have a nice day

Harry,   hsahu8034@gmail.com

Copy of rims and wheels 021.JPG

rims and wheels 004.JPG

rims and wheels 006.JPG

rims and wheels 009.JPG

Super cool! Having dove into a complex restoration - without enough previous experience - this should be an awesome chance to learn. Not to be too much of a cheerleader, but I've had to learn new things because convertibles from the 40s are crazier to build than what I was used to. Its worth it. 

12 hours ago, dodge28 said:

I am restoring a 1928 4 door Senior  for the last 10 years. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM DODGES OF THAT ERA UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO DO WOOD WORK.

I was on this forum for the past six years( under the name trini) and asked for hep. It seems no one in the world knew anything about Dodges of that era. The only help I got was from Ron Lawson in Australia. I have staminner and courage because I am a fighter. Not a quitter. Now I know how to handle the 28 DB with my eyes closed.Parts are not easy to come by. Prices are gone up by almost 40 %

If you still intend to buy it do a thorough check. Some sellers tend to hold back pieces.  It happened to me. The seller hid the brake shoes but give it to me afterwards because he was satisfied with the overprice I paid. I loved the car because I am fascinated with wood spoke wheels.

I would advise check Meyers Early Dodge and speak with Tom about the availability of parts. I have the wood spokes replaced by the fellow in Pensylvania (13 hundred dollars and all new tires, tubes and flaps ,3000 dollars) a car that old needs needs them. Do not compromise safety.

It is bandied about that the true DB are those made, prior to 1928. From 29 on, they are Chrysler. Please do your research.  The nice thing about the "29' is the Deleco generator is mounted on the block. The bad thing is the exhaust flows toward  the rad and then makes a 180 degrees  turn just below the carburetor. I heard old timers complain about vapor lock caused by the exhaust heat.  Check the roof for wood rot. That canvass will have to be replaced. All glass will have to upgraded to laminated type. Some rubber parts are available at Steele Rubber. To remove the inside door handle you may have to smash the escutchian which is threaded . Reproduction handles will cost you about 500 dollars for 4. Restoration Supplies in Cali is a good source for some old style parts.

If you need help contact me by email because I do not be on this forum often.

Cheers and have a nice day

Harry,   hsahu8034@gmail.com

Thanks for the information Harry. I have completed the purchase of the car. Along with all the legal paperwork I received a collection of documents including two original Operation and Care manuals. It appears as though the person who owned this car from the mid 1970's to at leas the mid 2000's had a lot of work done on the car and I have a stack of invoices from various shops and retailers from around the country for parts and services rendered. Other than the upholstery and servicing the engine this car seems to be in fairly good shape. I'm excited to begin working on it.