39 Buick restoration window issues

Gizmo

Hello! 

Long story short, I recently found and bought my late grandfathers 39 Buick street rod and in my efforts of restoration i've run into a bit of a speed bump. The top was dropped so I have managed to get all custom glass for the car, but the issue begins with the non-stationary windows for the door.

First of all the window and crank mechanism are easy to mount but I am not sure on where (If it has them) the window channel guides specifically go, as the window will just rattle around inside of the door panel if it is in the "Open" state. 

Second, I am not entirely sure on what I would need for window channel rubbers and sweeps I would need for a correct water-seal, I could fabricate something if need be, but that would be less than ideal. Guess I am looking to see if anyone has photos of their windows or what they used.

Greatly appreciated! 

299508924_821077125591098_7391138787162904245_n.jpg

On factory cars the front doors have a pivoting quarter window.  So the internal mechanism-guides will be very different.

Rear doors *maybe* like the  factory made in 1939.

Gimo's other thread-->https://forums.aaca.org/topic/383628-39-buick-special-hood-latch-mounting-questions/#comment-2416174

• Like 1

My restoration story covers the windows on a 1938 Century. While the modification with the front vent window being removed will not be quite the same, I think that my restoration story will be helpful with the windows in general.  Click on the small diagonal arrow at the top right of the link and it should take you to the page with the window installation:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll add my two cents also!  If you keep reading through, I do the other door as well in a step-by-step manner:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It may be worthwhile to add the front vent windows.  That will enable use of standard window channels and rubber (cut for the chop).  Having the front and rear vent windows functional will allow interior air circulation even with the side windows closed.  The downside is the look isn't as 'clean' as with the single piece of glass...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

With your setup as is you will need a front and rear vertical steel channel. front will have to be fabricated because it was on the original wing window frame but it's not difficult as you can buy channel material repro.then the u channel fuzzies can go in as 1 piece from lower front vertical up and over door frame and down to bottom of rear vertical. You will need your original lower window lift channel but may have to recenter the glass because of no wings. I wouldn't go back to wing windows, the fabrication involved would be mind numbing.Just get into it and you'll see how it goes. I did my stock 40 special 4dr sedan took my time and it came out better than the factory did. Windows roll up and down like new very quiet.