1970 Chevy Chevelle SS-396(4-Spd)Documented Original(Red/Blk)Survivor - $70,396 (Long Island)

Cute asking price. I’m not a Chevelle or red paint guy but this is cool. More (crappy) pics in the ad. 

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/levittown-1970-chevy-chevelle-ss-3964/7524785009.html

image.jpeg.22ec12611e085c5cfc4beaa07df3f14c.jpeg

image.jpeg.d94c996436a73e362b207b8078b7377d.jpeg

image.jpeg.bd6a3e07c76e01e07da6a9b547e4d043.jpeg

If you really really like ORIGINAL all #'s matching FULLY DOCUMENTED 1970 Chevelle SS cars---Then read on..
( If you want a recreation,,a clone,,a tribute--" Not That There's Anything Wrong With That"--Then this is NOT FOR YOU)
My car(Registered,Plated,Inspected,and Insured in my name) is one of the most original SS-396 cars I have seen..

From the completely original ALL #'s matching Drivetrain to everything in between---ITS ORIGINAL
From the original AO datecoded SuperSport wheels and Correct Goodyear Polyglas tires(Off car currently) ITS ORIGINAL
From the original datecoded 4-Barrel carb-----to the correct AC fuel pump---ITS ORIGINAL
From the original datecoded alternator---ITS ORIGINAL
From the original Harrison radiator-and Water Pump-and correct hoses and hose clamps--ITS ORIGINAL
From the original Fan and correct fan belts--ITS ORIGINAL
Of course Heads,,Intake,,Distributor,,Exhaust Manifolds ------------ORIGINAL
From the working radio and entire interior-----ORIGINAL
AND MORE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Cranberry Red (Color Code # 75) has the following Options
L34---396/350 HP
M21--Close Ratio 4-Speed Transmission
G94--3;31 Positraction
AO1--Tinted Glass
D88--Hood + Deck Stripee
F41--SPC Performance Suspension,
U14--Factory Tach and gauges,,
U63--Pushbutton radio
J50 and JL2--Power Disc Brakes
AND MORE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The car is an absolute pleasure to drive(Tight,,Fast,,Reliable),,,and every possible thing works exactly like it should..
From the radio to the cigarette lighter,,,From every courtesy light to the glove box light
From the radio and horn
From all its original T3 headlights---to even the Key Buzzer if the keys are left in the ignition...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an all ORIGINAL BODYPANEL car ( No half quarters,,No doorskins,,NO chinese fenders,,ETC,ETC...) You can see the Factory numbers on the quarter panels
The car is FULLY DOCUMENTED with its Original Build-Sheet,,Original Owners Manual,,Original Owner Protection Plan Book with Protecto-Plate,,AND MORE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FLY IN---DRIVE HOME---THE CAR RUNS FLAWLESSLY--DRIVE IT CROSS-COUNTRY---Its one of those cars that was always babied and garaged----NO AFTERMARKET ANYTHING--EVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS MY CAR----LEAVE YOUR CONTACT #
IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS MY CAR----LEAVE YOUR CONTACT #

• Like 1

Great looking car, price seems in line as well. I like the bench seat, shows the way these cars looked new, not overly restored like 99% of what is out there now. My only nit pic would be the engine looks too clean and shiny. Not that I want the engine bay to be grimy and the such but I would not expect the paint to look that good after the time that has passed. IF I were in the market I would def. take a close look at this one.

HA! Im a bit slow, I just now took a close look at the price.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My question regards the advertised odometer reading.  If it's really 99 Kmi, it seems unlikely that all of the original rubber (e.g., belts, hoses, etc.) would survive and still be functional.  The ad does say "correct" hoses and clamps, so that implies they are reproduction pieces (which is OK).  On the other hand, 99 Kmi could explain the cleanliness of the engine if it was recently rebuilt.  I like the idea of an original, unmolested car like this, however, any serious buyer should look at it and talk to the seller in person.

The fact that someone would rebuild the original water pump and alternator when it would be so easy to simply remove and replace says that the (original?) owner loved the car.  The ad is written as if the seller is the original owner; or at least knows who owned it originally, since he doesn't claim to be the original owner.  Iconic model & year for these cars and though everyone wants a 454, the 396 was no slouch and the 4-speed is a definite plus.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drhach said:

Weren't GM firewalls the same color as the body?

The large cars prior to about 1958 had body-colored firewalls, but I'm not sure how far back prior to that.  Generally speaking, the intermediates came with black firewalls unless there were variations depending on the plant.  This Chevelle is correct.  My '76 Regal coupe had a black firewall, too.

19 hours ago, drhach said:

Weren't GM firewalls the same color as the body?

Agree with JIm S, most of the later GM cars I have seen have black engine compartments. The top of the cowell is painted the car or dash colour. One of the few things I like about mopars is the body coloured engine bay.

Not a huge musclecar guy but I do like Chevelles.  This one is close to my vision of a perfect 70.  I would only love it more with a black vinyl top & the classic cragar SS with some beefy 60s all around.  Of course standard issue back in the day was airshocks, 50s and traction bars.