1952 Dodge- Interstate speeds?

ia-k

My early 50s Plymouth without overdrive gets less and less driven due to many of the local tours and excursions now have newer cars and part of the trip may (and usually does) include Interstates or divided highways with speeds of 65 MPH +.

I have a lead on a 1952 Dodge Coronet with the 6 cylinder and a 4 speed "semi-automatic" transmission. How well do these cars run at 65 MPH? Does the 4th gear act like an overdrive so I don't have the high RPMs like my Plymouth. Car is a distance away so I can't test drive it and don't want to waste the sellers time if it isn't going to fit my needs.

It's not like I don't have other newer old cars to drive but prefer to take something older and more unique than the mid-1960s to 1980s (and 90s) cars I am seeing now.

Years ago when I was growing up we had a 1951 Dodge Wayfarer as a second car. It had a Gyromatic transmission and there was no quadrant on the steering column. I drove it many times and it would do routinely do 65 mph on the interstates no problem. There was no overdrive just 4 speeds. It was a basic car with a heater and no radio, a comfortable driver but certainly not the fastest car on the road. As they say it was reliable if unspectacular transportation. 

• Like 1

If you really want to know, you are going to need to know the rear axle ratio (and tire size) of both cars.

As @The 55er said, it is not overdrive, but when there are 4 possible speeds the rear axle gears could be higher from the factory and probably are. If I remember correctly, only 3 speeds are normally used (or was it two?), but that doesn't make too much difference. Since 4 speeds are there, the car's climbing ability would not be compromised by some higher rear axle gears.

HAH! Well, @nearchoclatetown it depends where you live. :D I'm not the one who posted this but there is a difference between wanting interstate speed capability and actually using interstates. Where I live for instance, there aren't any interstates for miles, but the traffic still comes. The secondary highways around here have 60MPH speed limits, and the traffic moves at about 65MPH. These are mostly 2-lane highways, and plenty of trucks because there are no interstates. Thanks to the mountains, there are not parallel roads. Taking the kind of leisurely tour you are probably suggesting (and I would love to come along) is going to require at least a half hour white knuckle ride getting out of town in a slow antique around here. The time of day makes a difference of course. 3AM might not be too bad. I'm changing my gear ratio. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)