1941 Pontiac Torpedo Master Deluxe Rebuild

Skeeter

Hello, I have a 1941 Pontiac Torpedo D4 Master Deluxe Silver Streak with a flathead 6. Where is the best place to get information on the engine and parts for both the engine and the interior? The body is in good condition but has some rust on the sub floor.

20220815_165640.jpg

• Like 1

For the engine: The best bet is @Kornkurt here on the forum. California Pontiac is another good chance. https://pontiacparts.net , but call because the website is getting redone and is not very useful right now.

For the interior: If its stuff like trim or window cranks or dash parts, check with the same sources above. For upholstery, the source was a company called Lebaron-Bonney but they are gone now, and we are sort of on our own. There is a company in Oregon called SMS Fabrics that may be able to help. They can supply authentic fabric for a lot of makes and models, and premade upholstery for some. Read old threads about them. Nobody complains about the quality, but it might take a lot longer than you would like. You may need to seek out fabric and find someone to do it.

IMHO join a club! There are at least two. Both Early Times Chapter and OPW have magazines/newsletters that have ads from other sellers. It is also great to be in touch with others who know what you are working on, and may give you leads.  

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, I can probably do you a pretty good job with your engine parts.  Do not let anyone bore your block or grind your crank until you have the parts in your hand.  Too many sizes may not be available anymore.  Kurt Kelsey Antique Pontiac Parts 641-648-9086

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would start by getting some penetrating oil or some diesel in the cylinders as soon as possible. Liquid wrench works good for that, and has that little red tube to help you squirt sideways. That helps because the spark plug holes are over valves and the pistons are way off to one side, and you will have to squirt really sideways to get into the cylinders. Don't let the little tube fall in.

I might take the oil pan off and clean it out too. It is a good idea on any prewar car. You probably also have a centrifugal filter thing in the oil pickup. It was supposed to need attention only every 100,000 miles, but after all these years there is probably sludge. Maybe the engine isn't horribly stuck.

I don't know how the engine mounts work on a 1941, but I suspect if the engine is totally shot from rust or being run out of oil or whatever that a 1937-1948 block will fit, and that 1949-1954 could be made to fit with minor modifications. That would need to be verified by someone who knows more than I do.

2 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Do you know how to tell if my car is a metropolitan?

Was that a model in 1941? The Fisher Body tag on the firewall will tell you a lot about any flathead Pontiac, if you can find someone with the books to tell you what the codes mean. I don't have any info new enough for your car. Also, "style numbers" are a big deal on Pontiacs, and something you will hear about a lot. They are found on the body tag. Example: My car's style number is 36-2619A. That number by itself is enough to tell you that it is a 1936 Master Six four door touring sedan.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Bloo.  I am pulling the motor this weekend and am going to just start taking it apart.  It is showing signs of rust in one of the cylinders so I think a valve got stuck on it and let moisture in.  Soaking the motor did not help.  I am hoping that there is not much damage but we will find out.  The Metropolitan was a model of Torpedo that they made 8000 of and they made 7600 of the standard model.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...