Kepich Ehaust

Bill Stoneberg

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Bill,<P>I have had 3 systems for Kepich, on 3 different cars.<P>They are good quality and fit. Maunfactured well. Shipping was a bit awkward, in that all the pipes were nylon taped together, and shipped UPS that way. A bit unprotected, but they arrived in good shape.<P>I would recommend them, as i have heard some horror stories about others.<P>Scott Mich BCA 6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C

I had Kepich make a system for my 1955 Super about 4 years ago. Overall they did a pretty good job - I would use them again. It came shipped like a pile of spahgetti all taped together. Everything fit perfectly except for the Y pipe. It kissed the frame pretty good on the passenger side - was probably 1/2 to 3/4 inch too wide. I called them and was given the option of sending it back to get re-fit (I was to mark how much it was off by and they would fix it for me) or heating it with a torch and whacking it with a sledge hammer to achieve a custom fit for my specific application. Being my kids were anxious to go to the fair on the weekend, my inspection sticker was 1 year overdue, and the car sounding like it was running on nitro glycerin, the choice was obvious.<P>I got steel pipe. Personally, the only thing I would do different is get aluminized pipe (not stainless). I can't believe how quick it rusted up. Check to make sure you get all the gaskets with the system - somehow I remember having to scrounge some extra ones up.<P>Good luck.<BR>Ken

Bill<BR>Stay away from Kepich if you can! the system I bought for my 55 was horrible: Y-pipe would not match up to the manifolds and the tail pipe had kinks gouges and pinched down where it goes over the axle. Then I had to pay to send it back (still didn't fit) and then pay to send it back again. They refunded the price of the product but not the orininal shipping charges!!...a $75 lesson....<BR>There is a shop in Seguin that has patterns for many old cars...I'll check on yours...all you will need to buy is a muffler from hopefully someone other than Kepich!!<BR>Why aluminized?...it's cheaper and quieter than stainless and will last a lot longer than regular steel.<BR>Willie

Tom<P>I went with steel basically for the reasons Willie said - it fit my budget at the time I needed to do the job and I had been told by some other people it was quieter. I have never installed a stainless system on the car to compare the sound so personally I can't say for sure - maybe next time. I do know that I like the sound of the straight-through muffler that came with the system. I think the muffler was aluminized because its still pretty shiny and the rest of my pipes look like they took a dip in the Atlantic.<P>Also - I do remember that if I were to return the Y-pipe to them to get them to refit it, I would have to pay shipping back to them. I thought that stunk since it was Kepichs mistake. I have had mixed experience with paying shipping on incorrect items. CARS in New Jersey enforced a similar policy on me for a pair of lever shocks that were incorrectly valved and I had to pay shipping to return to them for correction, yet a Coil Spring shop I used to fit springs for the car offered to cover all costs in correcting an error and supported me until I was satisfied. <BR>All I ever paid was the initial advertised price. I guess in general the lesson learned is to ask your Parts Supplier ahead of time what their policy is if there is a mistake so there are no surprises.<P>It is interesting that another person had a problem with the Y pipe on a 55 Buick from Kepich. Maybe they better double check their tapes!<P>Ken

Had to submit my 2 pennies on this.<BR>I bought a SS exhaust from Kepich for my 65 Riviera and had lots of fitting problems. Midas did a better job. Plus the sound of the SS is loud, kind of has a ringing tone that is not pleasing. SS is so hard the sound seems to just travel through it, not effective at muffling. I used a TA system for my 70 GS, good fitting, sounds pretty good despite the Super Turbo's. Best is the local shop in Covington, KY. Smith's put a great system on my 65 Wildcat and it sounds great, looks Kool, and was the same price installed as others. Aluminized steel. <BR>No more stainless for this Buick Lover!

Ken and Nagel, <P>Thanks for the answers to my question. I thought I knew all the answers to stainless exhaust systems, but now I'm not so sure.<P>My next exhaust will probably be aluminized.<P>I love learning something new!<P>Thanks,<P>Tom

Duh!!!!!!<P>Meant to say thanks to Ken, Willie, and Ted.<P>Your replies are appreciated.<P>Now you know why they call me Old Man Tom!<P>Sorry about the gaff.<P>Tom

What you all say about stainless is basically true, ringing sound being the most annoying. One thing I can add to this, is that stainless will eventually crack from the welded seams, especially on headers. Also, the pipes must be hung "loose", with lots of clearance, since it expands and contracts more than mild steel. However, all these bad things lean towards austenitic stainless, AISI 304 and 316. There are a certain stainless steels that are developed for OEM exhaust systems, like the 409, which is ferritic stainless (magnetic). It doesn't ring or crack, but since it only contains some 10% chrome, rust will eventually develop on scratches and welds. As a reference, the 304 type usually contains around 18% chrome and 8% nickel.<BR>Jyrki

I am also a member of the "Forward Look" (1955-61 Chrylser products) internet discussion group. Kepich Exhaust was recently discussed there, and the complaints and bad experiences reported on that forum are too numerous to mention. A word to the wise.....<P>Pete Phillips<BR>BCA #7338

My cross over Y pipe fit perfect but after running my car with the new exhaust for a short while I noticed it was down on power. This winter I removed the pipe and noticed that at the y the pipe inside was only the size of a dime. After using a burr grinder for a couple of hours I opened the pipe up and the car ran much better however I think I burnt a exhaust valve in the process.

One effective way to make vendors like that get their act together is to write anyone who advertises for them such as Hemmings or your club monthly publication whether its the Bugle or whatever. Most reputable publications won't hesitate to suspend or revoke their advertising priveleges if a host of complaints come flowing in. I've only bought one items from Kepich--a crossover pipe. It did fit but on the phone he simply was not that nice & I won't buy anything in the future from him. I have a pet peeve about people who's thoughts are "we want your business but don't need it".

I've purchased 2 systems from Kepich. The first was a dual system for 64 Skylark about 10 years ago. They forgot to expand the end of one pipe. I took it to a local shop who did it for no charge. Second one I bought just recently for a 59 Invicta with duals. The shop that installed it said it took quite a bit of adjustment and they had to bend one pipe. Overall, though, it fits and looks fine. I talked to several suppliers and all told me regular steel would be fine for a car driven on a limited basis that is not a show car. As the others have said, parts arrived taped together like spaghetti, but were delivered on time as promised within a week.

I've had a Kepich exhaust system waiting in my garage for two years for the lazy guy (me) to install it in the '69. I HOPE IT ALL GOES IN O K! I'm worried after reading all the postings. It arrived all taped together, but in all fairness, how else could it be shipped? I remember the guy that took my order wasn't the happiest camper, though working the phones can wear person down.