Accessory Code For 1964 Skylark

Machine Gun

I've searched everywhere I can think of, but I can't find a table of accessory codes for my '64. The body data plate shows ACC U. The closest I can find for "U" is for other years and is seems to be for power windows, which my car doesn't have. The only options I'm aware of are the radio, remote control driver's door mirror, and limited slip differential. Can anyone help?

• 2 weeks later...

I found this page in my ‘63 BUICK COLOR - TRIM BOOK that lists the Special options. Hopefully someone with a ‘64 Book will reach out.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Must admit it does not seem comprehensive as there is no mention of Positive Traction Differential, optional V8 engine, four speed transmission or air conditioning.  Possibly the BASIC GROUP NO 1 and 2 are some internal/dealer codes used when ordering. Perhaps others may chime in. 

Like you, I wish to decipher all the codes to match them to the vehicle and like you am stumped on several that are part of my Skylark but not listed on the plate.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

F446BAD2-9C55-4394-99BA-DF57EDEECBA9.jpeg

9A8EB906-1E59-47C2-B443-C7B67F8C6A99.jpeg

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Extra details (see edit history)

It looks like this will remain a mystery. I have pdfs of the 1940 - 1972 Parts and Illustrations catalogs, and hard copies of the factory chassis and body manuals. Despite all of the information they contain there's no table of accessory codes for the '64. Web searches led me to other forums with similar lack of results.

Another mystery is my rear axle ratio. It's supposed to have a code stamped on the cover, but mine seems only to have the letter "M" inside a small oval, which has no meaning in my reference materials. Next time I'm under the car I'll thoroughly wire brush the cover. Perhaps the stamping is hidden under 58 years of accumulated crud...or perhaps not as my luck would have it.

Can you post a photo of the data plate, so we'll know what line and position the U code is in?

I had figured all Divisions would use the same accessory codes but a source I greatly respect says there are differences between the Divisions. On Oldsmobiles the U group generally refers to radios/antennas, courtesy lighting and trailer wiring. Any chance this car has a power antenna or rear speaker?

Hopefully Joe P will be able to shed some light if you can post that pic.

02C is the week the car was built, in this case 3d (C) week of February (02) 1964. 438 may indicate the job sequence number for that workweek.

Style 64(1964) 4(Buick) 3(Skylark) 69(four door sedan.

BA 2247 indicates the 2247th 1964 body built in BAltimore MD Fisher assembly plant. If you find anything exceptionally weird on your car, 1964 was the first year Baltimore built all four carlines (Buick, Chevrolet, Olds and Pontiac) on the same assembly line same as Fremont CA did. Prior to 64 it had been a Chevrolet and Fisher Body assembly plant.

133 is the interior TRIM code which I have no references for.

TR PAINT code is T (Tawny Mist) lower body with R (Desert Beige) roof.

But we still gotta find out what that dang U means!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanx, Glenn. I was able to decode everything else on the body plate except for the accessory code and the figures on the top line. The body illustrations catalog indicates that Trim Code 133 is cloth and vinyl in Fawn (whatever color that is). My seats were reupholstered by a prior owner.

Yes..... few if any interior color choices,  leather is no longer real leather,  white is the standard exterior color and any other color is at extra cost,  very little if any chrome and it may be plated plastic,  yet every year the cars cost more.  

It is not difficult to find options that cost more than an entire car in the '60's

Now we are going to get electrice vehicles stuffed down our throats.....   now I know what "the good old days" means

Some people wonder if the "Old Car Hobby" is going away.... smart drivers will be switching to older cars to get a car that does not cost

a years pay and cannot be worked on by the average person.

50 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

.... smart drivers will be switching to older cars to get a car that does not cost

a years pay and cannot be worked on by the average person.

For now. Until the feds and/or the states refuse to register vehicles over a certain age, gasoline prices are driven further into the stratosphere through taxation or other nefarious means, and the sources of offshore crappy parts dry up. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Edited by Machine Gun (see edit history)