Delcotron Generator and Voltage Regulator Authentic Replacement

Jerry Shuck

If you can, get the original alternator rebuilt and reinstall it.  We have other tricks for the voltage regulator.

Remember, it's always good to include the year of the car with questions (but I can see a 1st gen in your avatar).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pick a large city that has a strong following of classic cars and ship it to them. Or be smart and put a late model s12 alternator and an external regulator eliminator on the car. Hide it under the regulator and put the original on your “to keep” shelf. NAPA has a replacement in stock most of the time.

Ray

• Like 1

It sounds like you really want to keep your Rivi as original as possible. Another option is to mount an alternator that looks like your generator.

I have a 1962 Thunderbird that came with a generator. As I am sure you know, generators do NOT charge when the car is idling.

I was able to find a replacement alternator that looked and fit the mounting bosses as found on the generator.

I have the best of both worlds - charging of my battery even at idle or parade speeds and original appearance.

Thus is the box for my Ford alternator - maybe they carry a Buick one. Summit Racing carries this brand.

I did a quick search:

They are pricey - but may scratch your itch:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/alternators-and-generators/brand/powermaster/product-line/powermaster-powergen-alternators?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&cm_mmc=ppc-google-_-search-_-brands-_-keyword&gclid=CjwKCAjwo_KXBhAaEiwA2RZ8hCPXY_mRdm1TBAWre-PmEfyBskwXk6y3X0ea5ESxHSWajfmSxvRRKRoCYUYQAvD_BwE

Alternator 1962 Thunderbird.jpg

Edited by Craig Balzer (see edit history)

A "Delcotron Generator" is early 60s GM-speak for an Alternator.

I don't blame you for wanting to keep it. I have that setup on my truck. It has been working since 1987 just fine without any input from me, and probably quite a while before that with the former owner.

What's wrong with it? You can change bearings and brushes in the alternator to account for wear. I'm not in ROA so I don't know, but there must be someone in ROA who could to that? Due to the known age/failure curves of silicon diodes, I would leave the old diodes in unless you find a bad one. It is splitting hairs, but the old ones are slightly less likely to fail because statistically most failures occur early in a diode's life. I would also keep the old windings, unless you find loose ones. You can't have any loose windings vibrating around, as they will eventually short. Other than that, there isn't much to go wrong with them.

Hardly anything ever goes wrong with the old mechanical regulator. If the cover is not riveted, you could take the lid off and blow all the dead spiders out of it. I would only replace it if it doesn't work. Even then I would have a good look at why it doesn't work before giving up on it. The Delco regulators from that period were high quality. Modern replacements just aren't on the same level.

• Like 2

???? What year and model car are you working on.  The first Rivera came out in 1963 and was fitted with an alternator, not a generator.  If you’re truly looking for information about a generator, you might be better off asking on a different Buick forum here on the AACA site.  

Jim Cannon mentioned replacing your voltage regulator.  The replacement is a transistorized unit. That  cover is riveted on. Drill out the rivets and screw the cover to your oe regulator to the transistor unit.

18 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

Pick a large city that has a strong following of classic cars and ship it to them. Or be smart and put a late model s12 alternator and an external regulator eliminator on the car. Hide it under the regulator and put the original on your “to keep” shelf. NAPA has a replacement in stock most of the time.

Ray

This is the best bet by far. Did this to mine, and all my charging issues went away.