Trying to fix three doors that won't open on a 1998 Buick Park Avenue

wnlewis

6 hours ago, EmTee said:

Hmmmm, that deck screw sure looks like it doesn't belong there...

IMG_0100A.jpg.1a11b70632df0aeab193538743

You are correct. And I didn't see that with my eyes. I only saw it when I started looking through the pictures that I took. I think that I can reach up inside and find out what my fingers tell me. The next step on the mystery is to remove the other rod and then the two bolts that hold in the door handle and lock.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Is the disconnected rod in the 2nd picture something you did or the way you found it? Kinda looks to be the rod for the lock assembly.  But i agree with you and Emtee that the wood screw should not be there. 

Disconnected rod goes to the lock cylinder and mechanism. I disconnected it to see what would happen. After it was disconnected the lock cylinder turns freely.

Wood screw next on my agenda.

• Like 1

I removed the two screws that hold the outside handle in place.

Immediately the door made a sound and moved. I pulled on the inside handle and the door opened.

I don't have the outside handle out of the door just yet. The linkage for the handle is still attached. But progress is being made.

As you can see from the pictures, the door is open, the door handle assembly is partly out, and the latch (which is held in by three screws) is now accessible to be removed and checked.

wnlewis

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0145.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Yea!  That's progress for sure!  ;)

Thanks!

Plan to do more work on Monday. Maybe even get the window and window module out. That will let me start inspecting linkages, the lock cylinder, and the latch.

And what I learn on this door I can apply to the driver's side front door which does not open from the outside. The linkages on it are binding. They work, but they pull too hard and caused the handle to break.

The passenger's side rear door works OK. So it will be a model for how to do the driver's side rear door.

wnlewis

• Like 1