Hoping to Catch a Brake (1948 NYer)

Hughes

I've been working on a 1948 New Yorker as my first restoration project (admittedly with no prior experience) and I'm stuck on the brake system. I replaced all of the hard lines, hoses, master cylinder, and all wheel cylinders, but I'm having difficulty getting good pedal. If I pump it, I can get some pressure. That suggests to me that I have air in the lines, but I've spent hours bleeding the system. I don't see any leaks at the connections, in the lines/hoses, or at the wheel cylinders. Could I have a bad master cylinder even though it's brand new?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts from any of you who undoubtedly have more experience than I. 

Edited by Hughes (see edit history)

• Hughes changed the title to Hoping to Catch a Brake (1948 NYer)

Thanks @Bloo I bought a tool similar to @keithb7's design (before I realized he was the original creator). Based on your suggestion, I performed a major adjustment on the rear tonight. I'll work on the front in the next day or so and see if that helps. I really hoping it does. I'd like to drive it before the summer is over.

• 2 weeks later...

@Bloo Just to follow up on this, a more exacting major adjustment seems to have done the trick. I guess I wasn't as careful as I needed to be in my initial adjustment. With all the posts talking about the importance of proper adjustment, I'm feeling a bit foolish for not suspecting this as the problem originally and I really appreciate the advice. 

• Like 5